Students need to vote, colleges need to make it happen

The applause of last night’s gubernatorial celebration has been replaced with that of student dissatisfaction echoing in the halls of California’s community colleges.

Today, the state’s college students will sit in their overcrowded classrooms, shaking their heads, grumbling under their breath at the next four years of the same old story, without taking a good look at the big picture:

Those who didn’t vote missed their chance to raise their hand and speak up for the future of California’s students.

The Public Policy Institute of California estimates that only 31 percent of registered voters with some college education made the trip to the polls for this year’s statewide General Elections.

The other 69 percent was waiting for someone to come along and convince it to take a stand, or wasn’t registered at all.

Those who didn’t seize their chance to make a difference in California’s future now need to assume the responsibility and help clean up the mess that could have been prevented, and should be prevented for future generations.

Students should not spend the next four years pointing fingers at those who failed them, but should instead come together and think of a plan to increase voter turnout in their age range.

While the Economics Club at Cerritos College took a step in the right direction by hosting debates on the propositions and the gubernatorial candidates, indifference and cynicism toward political issues are still widespread among students.

Community colleges need to embrace their role as learning communities and increase voter education, taking place weeks prior to the elections.

They should also consider opening classrooms and gyms to student voters for future elections.

If the college can find space for the bloodmobile to visit campus every few months, it can definitely find a way for us to cast our votes as educated citizens once every four years.

Rebeca Vega, Staff Writer