Christians on campus use pushy tactics

Opinion+Button
Pete Moye’
Opinion Button

Pete Moye’
Opinion Button

It is often argued that opinions are like armpits, everybody has them. However, when does an opinion go from a personal belief to an imposing will?

On a daily basis, Cerritos College students are subjected to just about every mainstream opinion or belief there is.

There are none more so than that of religious opinion. Students already have to pick and claw through the overcrowding student population, faculty and not to mention the many solicitors around campus as well as having to be berated by pushy, forceful Christian enthusiasts.

Students try a wide array of tactics to avoid these people that in their own beliefs are being obedient to the word of God.

Some students pretend to be on a phone call. Some pretend to be listening to music. Some may actually be listening to music or on a call, and simply ignore them, and some students see no other option than to be outright rude.

It is troubling that Cerritos College students that attend school to further their education are being forced to such extreme measures in an effort to ensure a peaceful educational experience.

These “Pushy Christians” have no intention of giving off biblical inaccuracies, but that is exactly what they are doing when the methods that they use are completely different from that of the very same bible in which they quote from.

Students are bombarded with questions asking “if you died today, where would you go?” Students are constantly reminded of the many sins that exist in their lives. Sure, these are valid concerns, but if we are talking about the Bible, then we are talking about Jesus, and if we are talking about Jesus, then we are talking about love.

It is possible that this blunt approach has worked before, but even with the most extreme of recollection, not a single successful attempt using this method comes to mind.

Speaking strictly biblical, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ, Jesus.” Romans 8:1. By condemnation, it means judgment or imposition of a guilty verdict.

If this is true then the same Christians that are judging others about smoking, profanity, sexual orientation, or anything else are themselves not being obedient to the same bible that they hold so dear.

It is possible that some people may argue that the earlier biblical scripture is pertaining to those “Christians” that have stopped living and sin and gave their life over to God.

Well let’s access shall we? If there is no condemnation (or judgment) for those who are in Christ, doesn’t that mean the most severe and passionate Christians even if you can argue that it doesn’t include those of us that may be in sin?

Using that logic, it seems like even if one person is not qualified to be accepted via this scripture, surely those of us that are “spiritual” shouldn’t be condemning right?

If only the people that we all see holding the signs and passing out literature could only grasp the concept of that simple scripture, they may have more people willing to listen.

It is amazing to think what could happen if the spiritual students on campus just went around campus with no other intention than to listen to the reservations that people have with Christianity. After all, “you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.”

One man plants, one man waters, and God gives the increase, according to 1 Corinthians 3:7.

All a person has to do is ask someone how their day is going. Maybe talk for a second. People should see Christians as friends, not “crazy bible thumpers” that look at them with disgust.

Attempting to scare a perspective into someone never works. In fact, it only makes them more prone to rebellion. If someone doesn’t believe in God, maybe asking to talk about what happened that led them to that view point is a better way to go than telling them that they are going to hell.

We need to start being more understanding with one another. For those of us that may already have a personal relationship with Jesus, we need to remember that not long ago, we were where others may be right now.

Remember, Christ didn’t condemn us, or fear us into submission. He waited. He was still.

People may even fail to pay attention to this in belief that they are not condemning and that it doesn’t apply to them. Correction, it applies to each and every person that says that they have a personal relationship with God.

We all need to chill and stop pitting one group of beliefs against the other. The time has come to stop being judgmental. Branch out beyond your own views, and maybe you will see that there are people that are hurting and need someone to talk with. Maybe then you can make a difference.

Patrick Dolly, Staff Writer