Instructors: crack down on irresponsible students

Opinion+Button
Pete Moye’
Opinion Button

Pete Moye’
Opinion Button

The job of a teacher is to, before all things, be an educator. Secondly, it is ensuring that students have the proper materials to succeed, followed by making sure that the students share a similar like-mindedness when it comes to learning.

Since there is no current screening process to determine the intentions of college students, instructors have to follow an attendance and curriculum-based process when determining which students to drop.

But enough is enough. To Cerritos College’s administration, give our instructors the authority to “wreck shop,” and get rid of all of the bad apples that take time away from students that really want to be there.

Our Instructors need to be able to “crack the whip” on students that they feel should be dropped.

If students don’t come to class, drop them. If they don’t study, drop them. If they don’t participate, drop them.

The amount of power that our instructors currently have is no different than a parent that threatens to “go get the belt,” but never actually goes to get it.

Students constantly see instructors telling students how important their grade is, how pivotal it is to come to class and how vital it is to participate, but at the end of the semester, instructors are always trying to pick up the pieces that were left by the unmotivated students.

Much in the same way of how some instructors will lock the door after the class starts, the same zero tolerance policy should be implemented pertaining to dropping students as well.

Operating under an assumptive nature, our instructors have some type of code of ethics which they are expected to adhere to, so placing one person in charge of making sure this is done removes the concerns of instructors taking advantage of such an option.

In high school, if a student was disruptive or disobedient the teacher would kick them out of the class and they would be forced to go to the principal’s office and await further disciplinary action.

At Cerritos College, our instructors just repeat themselves in hopes of not having to go any further.

Look, we are adults. This is not a place for children, nor is it a place for people afraid to make the necessary choices.

Put these students in line, or kick them out. Far too many students were on waitlists, or petitioned to get into a class who actually want to be there for instructors to put up with people that are disrespectful, and who don’t care.

Watch how quickly people line up when they know that if they don’t take care of business, they will not be able to remain in the class, and if they can’t stay in the class, how does that affect their financial aid?

That’s right, No class, no financial aid. Give our instructors this authority and students will be in each class bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

Administration, empower your instructors to make the tough decisions for the betterment of the institution as well as the student body.

Instructors, don’t wait to make a choice. If you see someone that is more of a distraction than a help, handie it. Use some common sense. It is called common sense because we all have it.

Students, get ready. The days of coming to school to “kick it” and chill with friends may soon be coming to an end. If you are sincere and are working, work harder. If you are here for reasons other than to further your education, put school first then extracurricular activities because, in the words of comedian Kevin Hart, “it’s about to go down.”

Patrick Dolly, Staff Writer