Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman’s arrest

As you may all know, the worlds most wanted drug lord, Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman was finally captured on Saturday, Feb. 22.

El Chapo was a Mexican drug lord, head of the Sinaloa Cartel, who was on the run for about 13 years. Not only was he considered the most powerful drug trafficker in the world, but also one of the richest men in Mexico and one of the most powerful people in the world.

Many people were surprised with his sudden arrest, while others were relieved and others simply did not care.

“I am kind of surprised that it took a while to finally capture him,but then again when you have those type of resources and your government isn’t really centered on doing the right thing then i guess it makes sense,” said Olivia Gonzalez, Psychology major.

Gonzales says that this situation can be debatable since some people view his arrest a good thing, while others may not feel the same way.

Andrew Villarreal Undecided major said, “I am glad that he got arrested because he was extorting a lot of people, and a lot of businesses were not able to flourish. Many crimes were also committed, but sadly now that the main head was taken out, probably some one else will take over.”

Villarreal believes that El Chapo’s arrest will be a great start to helping both Mexico’s Society and economy.

“Finally! It’s about time he got captured!” expressed Business Administration major, Betsy Hernandez.

Hernandez believes that since the head of the Sinaloa Cartel was captured, things in Mexico are going to get chaotic and many people will rebel.

Rumors have been said, that El Chapo will buy his way out of prison or will escape to continue his business.

“I know that they are trying to transfer him over here to the United States to have him on lock-down, but I mean, if you ask me, i feel like he does not want to get transferred out of his hometown because that’s where he has all kinds of people and resources,” said Hernandez.

In other words, Hernandez believes that even though he may not be able to pay his way out and be free again, he will be able to pay people to work for him to make sure that his business keeps running, so that he can still be able to make money.

Computer programming major, Leonardo Bejer believes that El Chapo’s arrest was a positive thing because he believes that he was a terrible influence on everyone.

Bejer disagrees with Hernandez, “I am pretty sure that El Chapo could buy his way out of jail, but i guess we will just have to wait and see what happens, because you never know.”

Jerry Alvarado, Culinary Arts major, is on the same page as Bejer. He believes that since El Chapo is quite rich and powerful, he will indeed be able to buy his way out and will do it one of these days.

“In my opinion, I think that the drug world will be worse and terribly chaotic since they captured the main head, and it is also cause more war,” Alvarado added.

The question is though, since the head of the Sinaloa Cartel was captured and arrested, what will happen in the drug world? Business Administration major, Kelly Eduardo Zuniga states, “I don’t think that most if it will change, since operations are always held by committees or divisions by groups of people who know how to handle things so that when something goes either right or wrong, they will be able to fix it within themselves.”

Although there are many questions, rumors and many different stories on this surprising arrest, we are yet to find out what will happen and we will only be hoping for the best to happen.

Jessica Pacheco
Jessica Pacheco, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 My name is Jessica Pacheco and I am a second semester staff writer for Talon Marks. I like reading, exploring, and meeting new people. I am still undecided on what I would like to major. Jessica was reporter for Talon Marks fall 2013