Climate change is not a new concept

There is a special place in hell for the people who do not believe in climate change, especially in present times where we are have hurricane after hurricane, earthquakes and fires.

Hurricane Harvey hit Texas while devastating floods washed over India. With little to no time in between, hurricane Irma hits Florida, while Mexico experiences a magnitude 8.1 earthquake.

Headlines are screaming about the biggest disasters to hit in decades. People on social media are preaching about the coming of Jesus Christ himself saying that he is to blame for the madness. Everyone is worried, and everyone is all-of-a-sudden so aware of the wounds Mother Earth has borne since the beginning of mankind.

Climate change didn’t happen overnight; it has been going on for decades now with the extreme use of coal, the invention of the automobile and the simple existence of people who take our Earth for granted.

I have heard about the signs of global warming for years. It was something that was always talked about in science class. We all heeded the warnings of our banishing ice caps in the arctic. We were all told to walk, bike, or carpool to school, to do our part and recycle. I was raised knowing that the idea of preserving our Earth is important. It wasn’t until high school that I met a person who simply didn’t believe in “man made” climate change.

It truly blows my mind that there are people who see these record-breaking disasters all over the media and still deny that climate change exists. Saying that “scientists can’t prove that it is our fault,” when there is stone-cold evidence.

Another upsetting fact is that people are just now trying to do something about it! It is almost as if those people needed to see the thousands of homes get washed away and hundreds of people die by the hand of Earth’s natural disasters to realize that our planet is calling for help.

She has been yelling for years, yet the majority of us just kept doing what we were doing. We kept taking all the beauty and the valuable resources our Earth provided us for granted.

I never thought that I would see the crumbling of mother Earth with my own eyes. I was always told that it would never be in my life time, or my children’s lifetimes. Maybe that is why we kept going the way we were going, because the fact that it didn’t affect us meant we wouldn’t have to deal with it. We were just planning on leaving our mess for the generation behind us to deal with.

Well it seems to me that the ending is coming closer. Every organism that has a purpose on this Earth is going to experience this ending one way or another. The balance of nature is so far disrupted that we as humans are going to suffer the most.

The bees are going extinct and we are scrambling to create some form of technology to take their place because that takes less effort than doing our part to preserve the bees. Our global temperatures are getting warmer but we crank up the air conditioning and ignore the fact that the rising temperatures are causing our arctic regions to melt.

So I ask you, are you awake yet?

Julissa Villalobos
Julissa Villalobos, Staff Writer
Julissa Villalobos is a staff writer for Talon Marks. She is looking forward to transferring to Cal State Long Beach to continue her work with journalism and photography and turning those two passions into a career.