Blow out win looks bad

The Cerritos College women’s water polo team beat LA Trade Tech 19-6 on Sept. 25. This was their first South Coast Conference home game of the season.

Even though the women’s team won by a margin of 13 points, head coach for the women’s water polo team Sergio Macias wasn’t to thrilled about the win.

Macias goes on to say, “The score doesn’t really reflect our performance. So I felt like that was probably the worst game of the season.

“(There was) no leadership from the leading scorers, no leadership from our sophomores. Our two sophomores Bianca and Teresa fouled out; it’s a poor reflection on us.”

Freshman goalkeeper Catherine Borunda gives her thoughts on the outcome of the game, “It went pretty good. We kind of slacked off but at the end we picked it up.”

Borunda, who scored one goal and had seven saves throughout the game, said, “I tried not letting it get to my head because the team needed me. I tried to push myself 100 percent.”

Attacker, Teresa Zuniga, talked about how the team did.

“Yes we won, but it wasn’t how it should have happened.

“It took us a long time to get into the game. We were doing simple mistakes that should have never happened.”

On things to improve on, Macias said, “We need to improve on just the mental aspect of the game, the competitive nature of it (because) I don’t think we were competitive.”

So far, the women’s water polo team has an overall record of 4-6. In conference they have a record 1-1.

The next game for the women’s water polo team will be at home against Long Beach City Oct. 2.

Luis Guzman
Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.