Local rivals challenge Cerritos College

Both attacking midfielder Thiago Lusardi and sophomore defender Alyssa Cabral were well aware heading into yesterday’s matches against Long Beach Community College that it would be one for the books.

“I’ve been hearing this year they have a good team overall, ” Lusardi said. “They actually have three of our red shirts from last year, so they actually have three former Cerritos players.”

The Cerritos College men’s soccer team came out with a 2-1 victory over Long Beach Community College, while the women’s soccer team also came out with a 3-0 shutout win yesterday at away and home games, respectively.

Pitted against old teammates, the men’s team faced almost a duplicate of itself on the pitch.

Being the local rivals of the soccer department, the squad faced a team that has played 11 matches and has scored 16 goals in said matches.

Lusardi was very pleased and confident knowing that the face off was at home.
“We had a really good advantage,” he said.

The midfielder used the home turf to dictate the tempo of the game and directed his players to do so as well.

“We have to play our game (and) stick to the program and move the ball around,” Lusardi said.

Sophomore defender Eusebio Alvarez believes the Long Beach College Vikings are a force to be reckoned with.

“You can’t take them lightly,” Alvarez said. “There is a new rivalry between Cerritos and (Long Beach Community College).”

The next game is against Pasadena City College at home on Friday at 4 p.m.

Before her ACL injury, sophomore goalkeeper Alexis Carrillo faced the Vikings and was well aware of how it could be a tough match.

She noted some key things that the team is lacking.

“Offensively, whatever chances we get to put away the ball. Defensively, we just have to keep it strong like we have doing back there.”

“Before every game, I am definitely prepared,” Cabral said about her performance overall.

She also added how the team can be better, “The whole team has to play defensive(ly).”

Head coach Ruben Gonzalez looks ahead to the Friday away match at Pasadena City College at 3 p.m.

“The goal for us is to win a conference championship and move on to win a state championship,” Gonzalez said. “They are one of our opponents that are in our way to accomplish our goal.”

Sebastian Echeverry
Sebastian Echeverry, Editor in Chief
Hello all, my name is Sebastian Echeverry and I am the Editor-in-Chief for the fall 2015 semester. I have been working for the newspaper for four semesters now and slowly climbed the ranks from staff writer, to assistant sports editor, to sports editor, news/managing editor and finally the big cheese. My interest in journalism began when the twin towers fell on September 11 and the U.S. invaded Iraq. Global news coverage of airstrikes in Baghdad plagued the media and my father who served in the Colombian military would sit with me and explain what was going on to me. I was only eight years old at the time, so putting politics aside, I was only interested in how reporters on the front lines were seeing history unfold in front of them. Since then, I enjoyed reading and writing especially about global news. My first taste of research was for a high school paper about the militias still active in the U.S. I remember sipping some brew outside on the Coffee Bean's patio and being swallowed up by data, and liking it. I Currently have a part time job at Calvin Klein, my favorite sport is soccer and I love, Barcelona, Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund. I also enjoy watching hockey and my favorite team there is the Detroit Red Wings, yeah weird I know. I'm an easy person to approach and talk to and if you have story ideas let's get cracking on them! my email is: [email protected] My Twitter is: C_bass581141 My Instagram is: onlyc_bass5 and for giggles my snapchat is: onlyc_bass5