Annual Athletic Assembly welcomes new athletes

An assembly for student-athletes was held at the gymnasium on Friday, Aug. 22, serving as a reminder that education comes before athletics.

Among those speaking to students were Dr. Dan Smith, Dr. Linda Lacy, Dr. Schilling and Dr. Gilbert Contreras. Members of all sports, such as soccer, volleyball, wrestling, tennis, softball and water polo attended the assembly.

Smith advised students to always attend class and pay close attention, take advantage of the offered services and to support and respect each other by not spreading any negativity, hazing, racism, sexism or harassment.

Schilling spoke about the dedication of the Cerritos College staff, saying, “Your success is everything to us. We are proud that you are here, and we want to make sure that you succeed.”

Contreras and Student Body President Miles Aiello expressed the importance of joining the Associated Students of Cerritos College and starting additional clubs, while representing the school with pride and integrity. “Get out there, study hard, and win some games for Cerritos College,” said Contreras.

Mike Miles, Athletic Academic Counselor, later spoke about the benefits of the Falcon Athletic Academic Success and Transfer Program that was created for the academic success of student-athletes.

Through this program, student-athletes have mandatory tutoring and grade-checks, as well as create a post-sports plan to ensure a successful career.

Athletic Director Dan Clauss spoke about the efforts taken to get the community involved in sports, such as an upcoming tailgate party and celebration of Hispanic heritage month before the second home football game on Saturday, Sept. 13.

Business major and basketball player, Verenice Gomez, said she plans to put more focus on her education and less attention to social media. Gomez also plans to use the learning centers available on campus. “They have tutors and it will be very useful.”

“The turnout was great. Every sport showed up and it was exciting,” Clauss said.

Miles said, “I thought it was great. That was 99% of the student-athletes. They’re a great bunch and very successful.”

He continued, “Others were at class; class is more important than the assembly,” a statement agreed upon by his fellow staff members.

Monica Gallardo
Monica Gallardo, Opinion Editor
Spring 2015 Hey, I'm Monica and I'm the opinion editor at Talon Marks. When I'm not stressing about creating story topics and making sure everyone meets their deadlines, I'm probably hanging out with friends or sleeping or just chilling with dogs. It's my second semester on the paper and hopefully next semester I'll be at a Cal State. Last semester I was the sports copy editor and I'm excited to take on a bigger role and grow with my fellow journalists. In the future, after school is all done with and I'm responsible enough, I plan to go to New Zealand and maybe stay there because even though I've never been there, it's my favorite place. And no, it's not because I love The Lord of the Rings and New Zealand is where the trilogy was filmed. That's just a coincidence.