Men’s tennis suffer first defeat of the season

Playing the no. 1 ranked team in Southern California, Irvine Valley defeated the Falcons 7-2.

The Falcons lose the first game of the season against Irvine Valley.

As Cerritos and Irvine Valley decided to play either the three double matches first or the six single matches, Irvine Valley decided to play doubles first.

The no. 1 doubles game played with the Falcons Amadi Kagoma and Antonio Torrebella-Clark. They lost 6-8.

No. 2 doubles were played by Mark Antoniuk and Agustin Lombardi who also lost at 6-8.

No. 3 doubles Mathieu David and Milos Zoric lost their match 2-8.

Cerritos went down 0-3 in the break. Falcons looked to come back and get some points to put on the board.

• Playing as the no. 1 singles was Amadi Kagoma as he went on to play in three sets as he won 7-5, 5-7, and 10-7.
  • No.2 singles player was Antonio Torrebella-Clark as he also went on to play three sets and won 6-2, 3-6, and 6-4.
  • No.3 Mark Antoniuk lost his match 4-6, 0-6.
  • The no.4 singles Mathieu David lost his match 2-6, 4-6.
  • No.5 singles Agustin Lombardi lost his match in three sets 2-6, 6-2, and 8-10.
  • No.6 singles player was Henry Ayesiga lost his match 5-7, 5-7.

Head Coach Alvin Kim said, “We were close in three of the matches and if everything swung our way we could have walked out with a victory.”

Kim added, “Hopefully we see them again in the playoffs and do better next time.”

Agustin Lombardi, kinesiology major, said, “It was a very tough match Irvine is a very strong team and they are good one through six.”

Mark Antoniuk, business major, said, “We played really good and in the doubles(matches) if we could have won two or three the result would be another.”

The Falcons host Palomar College on Feb. 6 who are looking to move forward and take one game at a time.

Christian Gonzales
Christian Gonzales, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Christian Gonzales. This fall semester I am the Sports Editor for Talon Marks. This is my third year at Cerritos college. I enjoy talking about sports like basketball, football, tennis,and soccer. IG:ChrisG_Sports Twitter:ChrisG_Sports