Women’s tennis breaking records this season

The women’s tennis team have been breaking multiple school records this season. The women this season broke the longest winning streak in school history with 10 straight consecutive wins.

The winning streak record dated back from Thursday, Feb. 26 against El Camino College in a conference match where Cerritos defeated El Camino 6-3 that began the winning streak.

The team to break the winning streak of Cerritos were conference rivals Mt. San Antonio, who defeated Cerritos with the close game 5-4 on March 24.

Another milestone this season was when the Falcons reached the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

It was a 10-year drought for the women’s tennis team, but the Falcons weren’t done as their season continued with play in the South Coast Conference Tournament.

The South West Conference Tournament was this past weekend April 9 to 11 where all three of Cerritos doubles teams qualified for California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) State Championships at Ojai.

Taylor Heath and Mariia Yatseno placed second in the South West Conference Tournament. The top four singles competitors from Cerritos tennis team qualified for CCCAA State Championship on April 23 to 26.

The Falcons are 19-6 this season which is enough to earn them the seed no. 4 in SoCal, which continues with second round play on April 14 against no. 2 seeded Glendale.

Head coach Alvin Kim said, “Its been a long road trying to rebuild this program and now finally we are finally seeing some fruit of it,”

He added, “We are one of the best teams in California and we have some of the best players in California and we will be looking to represent.”

Stef Flores, a major in communications said, “We are really motivated and happy we have progress more through the season, we are taking it match by match in the playoffs.”

She added, “We were stoked because we were losing in the beginning and coach (Kim) was mad at us because we had so much potential until we turned it on.”

For CCCAA State Championship Flores said, “To keep up with the basics and relax and try to do things well and not hit the ball out.”

Taylor Heath a major in Engineering said, “We are really excited to play everyday. It had a lot of positive energy and we are like a family and I feel like that’s what separates us from the other teams and we push each other.”

He added, “To just try to stay focus which is pretty hard for me and just get some rest for state.”

Christian Gonzales
Christian Gonzales, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Christian Gonzales. This fall semester I am the Sports Editor for Talon Marks. This is my third year at Cerritos college. I enjoy talking about sports like basketball, football, tennis,and soccer. IG:ChrisG_Sports Twitter:ChrisG_Sports