Cerritos comes up a run short against Fullerton

No.1, Jason Givens gets caught stealing second base in the top of the fourth inning resulting in three outs and ending the inning for Cerritos against Fullerton on Jan. 29, 2022. Photo credit: Roman Acosta

Cerritos Falcons men’s baseball teams fall short in their second game of a two-game series against Fullerton college on Jan. 29. This is the Falcon’s second game of the season in a non-conference matchup.

Cerritos lost their first matchup against the Hornets 12-0 at home on Jan. 27. Cerritos started off the top of the first inning at-bat being the away team.

No. 7, Julian Francois, started the game off with a walk after battling Fullerton RHP, No. 50, Jon Sarmiento. No. 15, shortstop, Andy Vega, struck out at the plate as Francois stole second base.

No. 44, Sawyer Chesley reaches first on a ball hit through the right side of the field against the Hornets in the fifth inning on Jan. 29, 2022.
No. 44, Sawyer Chesley reaches first on a ball hit through the right side of the field against the Hornets in the fifth inning on Jan. 29, 2022. Photo credit: Roman Acosta

No. 34, outfielder, Moses Dokes, was up at the plate as Francois stole third base. Dokes hit a hard grounder directly to Fullerton shortstop, No. 15, David Barrios threw him out at first as Francois scored the first run of the game.

Dokes would tally an RBI to his stat line for the game. Cerritos was up 1-0, No. 5, Mike Santos would fly out straight to centerfielder in his at-bat for the third out in the top of the first inning.

Fullerton started off in the bottom of the first with a flyout to right field. Fullerton’s second baseman, RJ Vanderhook, was struck by a pitch from Cerritos, RHP No. 50, J’amore’ Ward.

No.1, outfielder, Jason Givens, watches the Hornets dugout clear and take to the field celebrating after getting all three outs that sealed the win for Fullerton. Givens waiting on deck without getting the chance for an at-bat attempt as the game has concluded on Jan. 29, 2022.
No.1, outfielder, Jason Givens, watches the Hornets dugout clear and take to the field celebrating after getting all three outs that sealed the win for Fullerton. Givens waiting on deck without getting the chance for an at-bat attempt as the game has concluded on Jan. 29, 2022. Photo credit: Roman Acosta

One error after another, Vanderhook advanced to second base on an attempted pick-off error from Ward as the ball blew right past first baseman No. 44, Sawyer Chesley.

The next pitch would end up hitting No. 19 from Fullerton as runners were on first and second with one out.

The pitching coach for Cerritos would call for a mound visit to evaluate Ward’s performance after hitting two batters at the plate.

Outfielder, Fullerton, No. 35, Miguel Ortiz, would make it to first off an error in the outfield.

Bases loaded, Vega gets the force out and second base and sends it to Chelsey at first for the double play that ends the inning for the Hornets.

Bottom of the third inning for Fullerton, Ortiz singled in between first and second base which brought in Vanderhook who scored the first run for the Hornets as Ortiz tallied an RBI.

Ortiz would later get caught stealing second base as Vega made the tag to end the inning as Cerritos and Fullerton were tied 1-1.

Cerritos failed to score any runs in the remaining six innings at-bat after a series of strikeouts, hits, and caught stealing.

Bottom of the fourth inning, Barrios would be safe at first base on an error off Santos. Bases would go on to be loaded as No. 24, Garet Crenshaw for Fullerton was walked and given the RBI as Barrios would score the only other run in the game.

No. 50, J'amore' Ward celebrating with teammates and coaches after striking out the side, and coming off the mound against Fullerton on Jan. 29, 2022.
No. 50, J’amore’ Ward celebrating with teammates and coaches after striking out the side, and coming off the mound against Fullerton on Jan. 29, 2022. Photo credit: Roman Acosta

Both teams were shut out for the rest of the ball game as the Hornets did not need a bottom ninth inning to decide this game.

Fullerton would go on to win 2-1 as they bump to a 2-0 record, as Cerritos drops to 0-2 in a non-conference matchup against the Hornets.

Cerritos men’s baseball team is heavily freshman loaded, it is a matter of time before the chemistry develops as they’ve shown great competitiveness to stay in this game.

Cerritos baseball will play at West Los Angeles, Tuesday, Feb. 1 at 2 p.m.

Roman Acosta
Roman Acosta, Sports Editor
Roman Acosta is the Sports Editor for Talon Marks, This will be Roman’s second semester on the Talon Marks Staff. Roman is also an assistant football coach at John Glenn High School (Norwalk CA) as well as a sports photographer who is a Journalism Major. Roman is a fan of Marvel/DC movies and comics. Roman enjoys watching Baseball, Football and other highly competitive sports. Roman would be interested in becoming a sports photographer or journalist in his future.