Callbacks bring nervous excitement

“Waiting for Lefty” auditions saw students of different levels of experience working toward the same goal – making the play.

Auditions concluded around 9 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, as Slay thanked those that auditioned.

Actors sat and read over newly printed lines in the Studio Theater, as Director Kevin Slay informed them of the atmosphere he wished to create in the scene that was handed out. The scene and characters involved were from the upcoming fall play “Waiting For Lefty” by Clifford Odets.

“Times are tough, there isn’t a penny in the bank or a cookie in the cookie jar,” Slay explained to the actors. “These characters have a reason to be nervous.”

That nervousness spread outside the audition room, as those called back grouped together to practice scenes before being called in.

“This was my first time auditioning for a play,” explained Christopher Webb, an undecided major. “I had taken theater classes before, but never auditioned for anything. It put a lot on my mind.”

Webb was among the students who auditioned not with a paticular character in mind, but rather a goal to make the cast.

“I just wanted to audition for experience,” stated theater major Jose Erickson. “It never hurts to have some experience. I auditioned for the musical last semester and had a great time, so I thought ‘Why not do it again?'”

Those that auditioned received additional copies of the lines and had questions answered by stage manager Hilary Baca.

“I’m kind (of) like the glue between the crew and the actors. I answer question(s) for them and help the director, Baca said. “Once they’re cast, I make sure they’re on time to rehearsal and set up appointments to get costume fittings.”

Among those looking answers was history major Samuel Green, who had just started his first semester.

“I’ve been acting for years, and loved acting since elementary school. I wanted to try it out on a college level,” Green said.

“I thought it’d be great chance to make friends,” Green continued. “We work on this together, and that creates a bond you can’t really break.”

The cast list will be posted Friday, Aug. 22, both online (cms.cerritos.edu/theater) and on the theater door.

“Waiting for Lefty” opens Friday, October 10, with tickets starting at $17 for general admission.

Carlos Holguin
Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.