More than just a label

Abraham Venegas

When you look at Jose Acedo – long dark hair, band shirt, hand gestures and dressed in black clothing, it is hard not to want to label him as a “metal head.” But the term “metal head” is not all he is about.

In middle school, he had an option to either take a computer class or a music class. Without hesitation, he chose music.

While the other kids listened to “mainstream” music, he listened to all kinds of music, especially classic rock, metal, Spanish rock and old-school rap.

“I was isolated because I was listening to music people thought was weird.”

During a Halloween concert in the fifth grade, he decided he wanted to be a musician.

Instead of sitting there playing instruments, Acedo and his classmates ran on stage dressed in costumes, entertaining the crowd.

“I saw  people who were stressed, sad or bullied were relieved with our music. I realized I was helping through music.”

In 2013, Acedo posted an ad on Craigslist and advertised a flyer to form a band. One year later, Acedo’s ad came to reality, forming the five-piece band called Amplified Inception.

Composed of two guitarists, a bassist, drummer and vocalist, the band incorporates various styles of music, such as ska, alternative, metal, Spanish rock and classic rock.

The band performs in backyard gigs in the Los Angeles County area, showing its talent to music lovers like the band members themselves.

Spanish rock bands, such as Heroes Del Silencio and El Tri, play a major role in how Acedo incorporates the Latin culture into his bands shows, such as piñatas and similar music styles.

Bands like KISS, his all-time favorite band, inspire Amplified Inception to stage-perform during shows.

The band throws fake-candy blood, use fog machines and allows the audience to go onstage and play its instruments.

Its lyrics talk about politics, life, brotherhood, unity and to do whatever makes you happy.

The band also performed last June for the Cerritos Commercial Music Fair.

Amplified Inception believes in the concept of giving out their music for free, because their fan’s support is already “a million dollar” feeling.

Acedo takes classes with Dr. Maz, a music recording professor, to learn more for his major, commercial music. If music doesn’t work out for him, he would like to be a psychologist.

Acedo defies the stereotype of a metal head  by being a fun, cheerful and a positive young man, surprising those who have the misconception of what the word even means.

The band has aspirations and goals, but it is realistic enough to accept that it will start off in small venues.

“Music is a way to connect with people, it connects you universally,” Acedo said.

It has a first demo and are in the process of making its second one.

His band is a sign of a celebration; it is what music and shows are all about. For Acedo, he is not a label, nor is he just a musician; he is an individual who loves music, and one day hopes to make an impact on people and leave  a mark in the music industry.

Katherine Grijalva, Arts Editor
Hello, my name is Katherine. Just a 21 year old gal who happens to be the Arts Editor this semester. Former Opinion Copy Editor. I am majoring in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations. Aside from writing I enjoy attending concerts, Disneyland trips, eating, shopping, and surfing the web and find out the latest news.
Abraham Venegas, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 I am person who speaks his mind about things or issues and will not censor himself to anybody. I have been attending Cerritos College for three years after graduating from Downey High School. In my downtime I enjoy reading books about social movements throughout history, bike riding, playing futbol, hanging out with friends among other things. I also enjoy watching and talking boxing and if you want to know about the sport or when is the next "big" fight talk to me not the dimwits on ESPN.