“Do You Hear What I hear?” Lecture Series honors Viannese composer

“Do You Hear What I Hear”, lecture and piano concert series 2014-2015 brought a couple of extremely talented people to perform and honor the great Franz Peter Schubert, A well known Viennese composer. This lecture and piano concert series presented by Cerritos College Music Department and the Associated Students of Cerritos College happened Friday October 17. At 11:00 am in BC-51.

Before these artists began to perform live some of Scubert’s well know melodies, Dr. Christine S. Lopez gave a brief lecture about Franz Peter Schubert. She gave important facts about his life, and how his life influenced his music.

Schubert was born in Vienna in 1797 and died in 1828. He got his talent from his father who taught him how to play. By the age of 14 he had written his first song. In all he wrote 7 symphonies and 600 songs throughout his whole musician carrier until the day he died.

First song played in this concert was “Auf dem Strom”, Op.119 for voice horn and piano. Dr. Anna De Michele, who is currently the director of the choral and vocal program here at Cerritos College was the voice in this song. Steven Mahpar, who has received a bachelor’s Degree in horn performance and a Master’s Degree in Composition was playing horn, and lastly Christine S. Lopez played the piano who is also the coordinator of the Keyboard Studies program and Director of the Applied Music program here at Cerritos College.

Second song played was “Impromptu, Op.142, No.3 in B flat major, by Sung Ae Lee, in piano. Sung Ae Lee, graduated from the University Of California where she received her undergraduate and graduate degrees in piano performance.

The third and last song played was “Fantasia in F minor, Op.103, for the piano, four hands. This song was played by pianists Sung Ae Lee, and Christine S. Lopez .

Upcoming Piano Events

Piano Ensemble Concert : Sunday, October 19 BC 51, 4:00pm

“Do You Hear What I hear” piano concert and lecture series: Friday, November 14, BC 51, 11:00 am

Piano Ensemble Holiday Concert : Sunday, December 14, BC 51, 4:00 pm

Kenia Torres
Kenia Torres, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 I am a 19 year old girl with big dreams. I want to make my first year here the best, and I am in the process of becoming the best writer out in L.A. I want to major in the arts of Journalism. I am shy, but that has never been problem because at the end I love being open to trying new things. I am not scared of failure, and everyone will always see me having an optimistic attitude about any situation. I am considered to be a very happy girl.My favorite sport is volleyball I played for 5 years,but in my pass time I love watching movies specially movies about romance. Music is life,and my favorite band is Green Day. Summer is my favorite time of the year. Lastly,my parents, two sisters, and baby brother are the most important people in my life.