Counselors assist students through CSU application process

The Transfer Center held a workshop helping assist students filling out their online Spring 2018 applications for Cal State Universities.

Transfer Counselor Marvelina Graf went over the application process, eligibility requirements to transfer (60 units and a minimum of a 2.0 GPA), creating an account, and fee waiver process and prices.

Graf told students this year Cal States are using a new website named Cal State Apply and any students that had a CSU Mentor account need to make a new account for this new site.

Students created a personal account throughout the Cal State Apply site, afterwards Graf showed the students a step-by-step process for filling out the applications.

She mentioned students will be limited to apply to a few Cal States such as Cal State Long Beach and Cal State Fullerton because not all universities are accepting students for Spring 2018.

Graf mentioned fee waivers cover up to 4 campuses and applications are $55 per campus, she suggested that students should apply to see their eligible to get fee waivers.

Counselors advised students to to enter their information accurately in the application because one mistake could cost their admission status.

After Graf finished presenting the application process,counselors Dr. Ken Matsuura, Gloria Morales, Ramon Franco, Chris Sugiyama and Debbie Boudreau were walking around helping students in their application process and answering any questions they had.

Students such as Alejandra Mendez, Sociology major found the workshop very helpful, saying that the workshop helped her in her application process.

“I had an issue on my application were there was an error that would pop up that said I haven’t completed all my course work and hey helped me fix it.” said Mendez.

Carina Rodriguez, Sociology major, said she had started on the application but she needed help and decided to attend the workshop.

“I had questions that came along as I was doing the application and I was able to get helped by the counselors there.” said Rodriguez.

Alejandra Ochoa, Psychology major, said she attended the workshop to start on her application and hopes to transfer to Cal State Long Beach in Spring 2018.

“I found out about this workshop through the Transfer Center and I came because I needed help starting my application” said Ochoa.

“The fact that we are offering these workshops for students really helps because these students don’t have anyone to go for resource because even if they have family members or friends that have already submitted applications to Cal States in the past, that application is different to this one so it won’t help them.” said Graf.

The last day for students to apply to Cal States for Spring 2018 is August 31.

Theres two more workshops offered on August 23 from 4-7 pm and August 31 from 11 am-2 pm in room BE 117.

There will be separate workshops for Fall 2018 CSU applicants starting early October.

Jocelyn Torralba
Jocelyn Torralba, Production Manager
Hello there ! My name is Jocelyn Torralba and I am 20 years old. Production Manager in Talon Marks. I was born in Lynwood, California and I graduated from Alliance Collins High School in 2014. I am a junior at Cerritos College, my major is journalism. I hope to transfer to CSU Fullerton next year. Ever since I was a little girl I used to love being the center of attention and always be in in front of the camera. My dream is to become a tv host in one of my favorite celebrity entertainment shows and show the world my passion for broadcasting.