Abilities Expo demonstrates products and services

TM Derrick Coleman
Pearl Netrayana was trying out a PlayStation Game at the Abilities Expo. The conference was held at the Los Angeles Convention Center on Feb. 23. Photo credit: Derrick Coleman

The Abilities Expo, held on Feb. 22, has been around for nearly over 40 years; the expo is dedicated to educating and improving lives of Americans with disabilities. It has been the nation’s foremost event for companies to demonstrate their products and services.

Abilities Expo gave people with disabilities a chance to experience different things throughout the conference.

People had the chance to try things like wheelchairs, clothing and sports equipment and had a chance to go to workshops.

One of the exhibits present was the Adaptive Climbing, which is a sport open to all abilities it’s not just for experience athletes.

Mark Wellman from NO Limits said, “Climbing has tremendous benefits such as building confidence, increase strength and improving flexibility.”

Pearl Netrayana, a student at Cerritos College said, “I’ve been going, for at least four to five years consistently every year. It’s [an] opportunity to see what’s out there for individuals with disabilities and you have access to, organizations that are out there for individuals with disabilities.”

Netrayana said the best part is people get to see cool gadgets. The products are on the expensive side, but at least they are available to be sampled and obtain information she said.

PlayStation is trying to make games more accessible for individuals with disabilities.

She went to the workshop in regards to find out how they are incorporating games and making them more accessible is pretty interesting.

Netrayana went to earthquake safety workshop and said it was pretty cool they gave out a little starter kit.

Every program who serves disabled people in Southern California show have been at the Abilities Expo Conference, it is highly recommended for people with disabilities. Next years conference will be Feb. 21-23, 2020.

Derrick Coleman
Derrick Coleman, Co-Multimedia Editor
Derrick Coleman is the Co-Multimedia Editor at Talon Marks. He was born in San Jose, Costa Rica, where he lived for 15 years before coming to the United States. His goal is to start his own photography business.