Citizen-soldier called away to serve his nation

As the United States prepares to attack Afghanistan, Doug Haynes, a professor in the Administration of Justice department, has been called to serve his country.

Haynes, a U.S. Coast Guard Intelligence Officer, was called to active duty two weeks ago, and is currently being stationed in Long Beach, Ca.

Haynes, Phillip Satterfield, and Cerritos College Police Chief Marv Engquist are the only full-time professors in the Administration of Justice Dapartment on campus. Along with other professors, Haynes taught Introduction to administration of Justice, Concepts of Criminal Law, Criminal Procedures and Concepts Enforcement SVCS. He was the only professor to teach Administration of Justice, Occupational Work Experience, and Narcotics and Vice Control.

Out of the six classes Haynes taught, Engquist is currently teaching three of them. The other three are being covered by other teachers in the Administration of Justice department.

“My time is split between being at the police department and spending extra time with students in the classroom,” says Engquist.

The department is unsure of how long Haynes will be gone.

“His orders are that he could be activated up to one year,” says Engquist.

There were no interruptions in the classes, they continued teaching the students as normal.

Haynes has been teaching full-time at Cerritos College for approximately 12 years.

Engquist and Haynes are Co- advisors to the Administration of Justice Club, Lamda Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

Engquist will also be taking the Administration of Justice Depart-ment Chair job while Haynes is gone.

“I enjoy being in the classroom, I did not want to lose touch with students,” commented Engquist.

While Professor Haynes is gone to serve the country, the Board of Trustees are in discussion about how they can respond to faculty being called.

“The Board of Trustees is in consultation with the school’s lawyer about how they can go about extending benefits and salaries to faculty that have been called to duty,” says Dr. Harmon.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer