Caught in the sticky web of Spider-Man

Caught in the sticky web of Spider-Man

Many movie goers this weekend got caught in the web of Spider-Man.

Spider-Man is the first movie to go over the $100 million mark in a three-day weekend, opening with an estimated $114 million. The lines at the movie theatres were in a web of their own as viewers found themselves stuck in the webby lines.

I waited an hour in a line to see the movie, but it was definitely worth the wait. Though the movie did have its slow points, it still spun a web the greatness.

As the story takes off we meet Peter Parker/Spider-Man, (Tobey Maguire), who leads a pretty much normal yet geeky lifestyle.He has a high interest in science, photography and the cute girl next door, Mary Jane Watson (Kristen Dunst).

And their classmates attend a tour of the science department at Columbia University, where the students are shown all different types of genetically altered spiders. The spiders are known to have “spider-sense” like ESP. While in the laboratory Peter gets bitten by one of the spiders.

All in all, this is where the real fun begins as Peter awakens after being bitten from the spider to discover that his weak little body looks like a gorgeous hunk who now has muscles. He learns that he has the “Spider-sense,” that the tour guide talked about and that his strength has increase dramatically.

He first uses his super powers to win money in a wrestling match, which was pretty entertaining to watch. Peter used his spider web making skills to get away from the mean wrestler that was more than willing to kick Peter’s face in.

While Peter was off fighting crime, Harry’s father, the evil Norman Osborn (William Dafoe) is playing with some chemistry of his own. When his experiment goes bad his intelligence and his strength increases, but it begins to drive him insane. He later becomes Spider-Man’s enemy, the Green Goblin.

The Green Goblin puts Spider-Man to the test by trying to beat him at mind games along with making decisions that could ruin innocent peoples lives.

Like in any movie review, it’s hard not to give away the ending and not tell you the whole enchilada. I have never really been a big fan of comics and hardly ever watched any of the cartoons, but for someone that has never been interested or knew the story about Spider-Man, the movie gives you all the information you need to know so the viewers won’t be lost when attending the movie.

The movie was absolutely fascinating. Watching all the visual effects that used new computer generated imaging (other wise known as CGI) was visually satisfying. I was amazed to see how far technology has come.

I went into the theatre with high expectations and left with complete satisfaction. Spider-Man gets eight thumbs up.

Spider-Man is definitely the action movie of the summer and a sequel is already in the making.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer