New Falcon graces Senior Center entrance

A worker puts the final welding touches on the new statue.

Along with the new changes happening on New Falcon Way, Cerritos College now has a beautiful falcon statue to greet everyone at the entrance.

On Aug. 29 the City of the Cerritos installed a falcon sculpture on top of the fountain that is located on the corner of Studebaker and New Falcon Way.

During the placement of the falcon crews shut off the water to the fountain so employees could install the sculpture. The bird was welded to on to the top of the fountain by a small piece of metal.

City officials and employees were on hand to watch the bird being installed.

“We wanted to have something that represented the school so both the senior center could tie in with the college. That is why we chose the falcon,” commented city employee watching the event.

The falcon sculpture is one of the final steps before the new senior center is dedicated.

The bird weights a heavy 800 pounds. The sculpture was design and constructed in Washington State.

The reason for the falcon being the choice of animal is that the falcon represents Cerritos College as the mascot.

Another change for the senior center is the name. Some students may recall seeing the big sign saying “Chancellor’s Village” outside on New Falcon Way, but that soon changed to Avalon at Cerritos.

The reason for the unexpected change in name is due to the name Chancellor’s Village was already being used by another facility.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer