Avalon at Cerritos ready to open its doors

After the hours of sweat and vision for the Avalon at Cerritos, all the hard work has paid off.

Avalon at Cerritos is putting the final finishing touches on the building before the grand opening on Saturday. The license that the senior housing needed to obtain before opening came through and life is already moving inside.

Currently, three residents are now living in the new facility. One moved in last week and two moved in on Monday.

On Tuesday, members of the media, Cerritos College Officials and City Council came out to get a glimpse at the project that has been in the works for a year and a half.

Among the people who came to the preview was John Grindel, Interim President at Cerritos College, Gloria Kappe who is Mayor Pro Tem for the City of Cerritos, Torrey Contreras, who is the Planning Manager for the city.

“It has been very exciting seeing this project from ground breaking to finish,” Kappe said.

With a nice welcome sign at the receptionist desk and the impressive architecture, these ladies are living in style.

Michele Razo, the Executive Director for the facility, is very enthusiastic about the new residents.

“By the end of this week we will have six residents, next week, 11 and by the end of the month, 24,” Razo said.

The City of Cerritos has two other senior housing buildings, but people buy those and the rooms at Avalon are being rented.

The city receives money that is set aside to go to affordable housing projects.

The difference between Avalon and the other two buildings is that Avalon is for assisted living for seniors. This means that if the residents need help of any kind the staff is able to help them with their needs.

The senior housing is full of things to do and the comforts of home. The interior of the building is beautiful with the dark greens and purples as the basic colors with touches of gold. The furniture is comfortable and rooms are very nice.

Inside Avalon, there is plenty for seniors to do such as games and crafts to checking email on their computers, to watching The World Series on the big screen TV, and playing poker or pool.

The center also has a beauty salon, which is currently trying to incorporate cosmetology students in working in the salon. The salon would have to obtain a license for the students and teachers to come work inside and run it.

“I wanted to make it a win win situation that would be beneficial to the students and the senior would be able to interact with the young adults,” Contreras commented.

Avalon hopes to be very interactive with the college.

“The program opportunities are limitless for both parties,” Razo said.

The facility is in full running order. There are three meals a day served in the dining room, which looks very much like a hotel restaurant. There is a piano that is in the dining room.

“We hope to get the college music department interested in coming over and playing for the residents,” Contreras said.

“One resident is already requesting dancing particularly ballroom,” Razo commented.

The kitchen is fully equipped and the culinary department helped install the equipment in the kitchen. The residents don’t have to eat in the dining room if they don’t want to. There are plenty of other places for them to eat such as their room, patio area and ice cream parlor.

The rooms are complete with a bedroom, walk-in closet, and bathroom with a shower that is accessible for the disabled. They have a mini refrigerator and microwave.

The rooms have little peep holes and doorbells. Each resident has his or her owns addresses and room number.

The library is in need of books and games for the seniors. If anyone would like to make a donation please contact 562.865.9509.

Avalon at Cerritos is definitely a first class operation.

The grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony will be held on Saturday at 10 a.m.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer