College cuts ribbon to officially open Avalon

Cerritos City Council and Board of Trustees of Cerritos College gather for the ribbon cutting ceremony inside Avalon.

With purple and gold balloons soaring high into the sky, the falcons have a new edition to the campus.

Avalon at Cerritos, a senior housing project located off of Studebaker Road and New Falcon Way, had its grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony on Saturday.

As people began to gather in the parking lot of Avalon, after getting a ride from the Cerritos on Wheels buses from parking lot C-10, the Cerritos College jazz band played some tunes for the guests.

The audience was filled with spectators, from state representatives to city officials, along with the Board of Trustees and the public.

There were approximately 100 guests in attendance at the event.

During the ceremony there were speeches about great pride and excitement for the school, the center, and Cerritos College students as they joined together in efforts to help students gain hands-on education.

“Along with today being the very first World Series game for the Angels, it’s our first to be a part of something special. It’s important to us (school) that the students benefit from it and the city and community as well,” said Bob Verderber, president of the Board of Trustees.

Also Mayor Bruce Barrows and Verderber gave the first resident, Hortenese Durdon, her key to her apartment.

Durdon is a 96-year-old woman and she is very happy in her new home.

After some of the speeches, representatives from the state gave presentations to the city and college.

“I am so proud of the council and faculty for such a good job they have done going through all the struggles of putting this beautiful building together,” Congresswoman Sally Havice said.

When the speeches were all done, the group walked over to the front doors for the unveiling and dedication of the plaque along with the ribbon cutting.

Then they let the group in to wander and explore the new facility. There were model rooms open for the entire group of guests to walk through. As the guests walked through the building they were greeted with treats from volunteers such as Avalon at Cerritos pens, calculators, letter openers, and commemorative pins.

Out in Residents Park, there was food and music by the Cerritos College Gospel Choir.

Cerritos College has already started to incorporate student programs at the center.

In the stylish, new beauty salon at Avalon, there will be many advantages for students along with residents at Avalon.

“Advanced cosmetology students will be able to work in the facility under instructional supervision,” said department chair of cosmetology, Nina Motruk.

The college is still in the process of putting together programs for students to be able to work hands-on at the facility and with residents.

Nursing, culinary arts and physical therapy are three other departments that the college is currently working on.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer