Eight women selected for homecoming court

Students voted Oct. 16-17 to elect eight women for homecoming court at several locations on campus

As students walked on campus Wednesday and Thursday they might have received a little extra treat.

Homecoming court candidates were out in full gear with their baskets full of all sorts of candy and flyers encouraging students to come out and vote.

So with the festivities of homecoming right around the corner, the votes are in and the eight-member court is selected.

On Thursday night, the votes were counted and a sign with the names of the eight women was posted.

Out of the 19 women that ran for the court, the students on campus chose eight.

In order for the students to vote, they must have a valid student ID card with them when they vote.

There were 820 students that came out and voted for homecoming candidates.

At the polls, students were only allowed to choose seven of the women on the ballot. But due to a tie, eight are now selected to the court.

“There was a three way tie right at the end,” Liz Monge, student activities program assistant I, said.

The following is a list of the new court members and the clubs they represent: Juanita Ortega – Disabled Students of Cerritos College Jacqueline Castellon – S.P.I.C.E. Haydee Rodriguez – Phi Beta Lambda Heather Fox – LDSSA Eileen Santos – Phi Theta Kappa Danielle Tolentino – Scholars’ Honors Club Tiana Harris – Independent Erin C. Charles – Independent

On Tuesday, the eight were introduced to the students, faculty and staff in the student center. As each one walked down the cat walk, facts were given about each one such as family, hobbies, what they want to do in life and club they represent.

The elections for homecoming queen will be held on Oct. 30 and Oct. 31 The homecoming mock rally will be held in the student center on Thursday at 11 a.m. Each homecoming court member will have a man at the rally to represent them. The men will compete in a dance competition dressed in drag.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer