Community; See you later, never goodbye

When I began my journey at Cerritos College, I knew from the moment I stepped foot inside the Talon Marks that this was where my desire to write would grow.

I have always been interested in the field of journalism, but nothing would have prepared me for what has been the best four years of my life. (Eight semesters; I know, ha-ha, the longest member on staff. You know you will miss introducing me that way.)

My adviser, Rich Cameron, says something at the beginning of every semester that is so true. “If and when you leave here, you will always remember your journalism classes over any other classes you may have taken.”

I can definitely say that it has been a privilege to work with a talented group of friends, colleagues but most important family.

The number one thing I fear the most in life is change; I don’t adjust well to it, but I get through it.

I don’t want to leave, but being able to be in the class without being enrolled, and still prove to myself that I can take the responsibility of a page and volunteer my time makes me understand my purpose in life, and that is to be a journalist and continue to learn.

I have learned so much from being on staff at the Talon Marks; it is a blessing that I walked in that door and stepped up to the plate.

Everyday is a new experience, and when you get to be with your family it makes the experience pure joy.

Of course, we fight like we are family, but we all know that we have freedom of speech and press and it is okay to have different views.

If I had to put my experience into words it could only be described as: tireless, unpaid, long days, passionate, beneficial, frustrating, a learning experience, educational, desire, a love for the job, care, fair and balanced, accurate, respected, talented colleagues, adviser and lab aide.

There is always room to grow, learn and experience in this newspaper and in life. I love my job here and find it such a blessing that I have been able to experience all the entire program has to offer.

So, as I graduate next week and begin to move on in my journalism experience, I will never forget my journalism class, my friends, the future journalists, my family and most of all the publication itself.

Mr. C, I am glad our staff earned you and the publication a General Excellence Award; it would not have happened without your teachings, experience and your sharing with us the experience of going to conferences to expand our growth in writing.

I am going to miss:

* My little purple corner in the room and finding my snacks missing from Becka, Sonia, Benny, Hersson, Chris and well, basically everyone taking them out of my drawer

* Pasting up the paper with that darn hot wax machine and staying at Talon Marks until the paper was done, like at midnight.

* The ancient computers shutting down while trying to put out the paper, or scratching out the whole budget for the paper when 9/11 happened.

To some people this may not sound like fun, but this is life at Talon Marks, and I would not exchange it for the world.

Yes, its been a long road, but there is still more road ahead and more stories to cover, because I believe that everyone has a story to tell.

So, I don’t do goodbyes, because to me they are forever; so I will say see you later and guarantee I will be back to check up with the staff, Mr. C, Jorge and my family.

Now I want to make one little request, staff and college students always be reminded of me when using spell check because, “spell check is your friend” and its so easy to use.

To my family at Talon Marks and my family and friends at home, thank you for all your love and support through the years.

To Mr. C, thank you for all your support and teachings; you helped me confirm even more that I am to be a journalist.

To Amara, you have been a great friend and have taught me so much about journalism, design and working in the field.

To Jorge, thanks for making me laugh and look at things from another point of view.

To Ryan, Dad and Mom, thanks for waiting up for me after a 14-hour workday and being so supportive.

I could not have asked for a greater experience than the one I was given here at Talon Marks.

To the staff that will be here next semester, continue with your love for the job and grow in every way you can. Sometimes you are only given a once in a lifetime experience and experience as much as you can.

Believe in yourself that you can make a difference one story at a time.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer