Academic excellence announced

The Cerritos College Foundation recognized the hard work of 17 students by awarding them a total of $7,850 in scholarships at the Academic Excellence Awards ceremony last month.

The Web site for the Academic Excellence Awards Annual Program describes award recipients as “the brightest and most talented students in their major areas.”

Students chosen for the awards must complete nine units in the area of recognition with a minimum 3.5 GPA, and must also complete at least 30 units at Cerritos College while maintaining a 3.5 overall GPA or higher.

Recipients must be enrolled in at least two units during the fall semester and are recommended by a faculty member in the area of recognition.

This year’s scholarship recipients are:
· Victor Nevarez, the Richard McGrath Administration of Justice Scholarship
· Harry Tanama, the Edward Bloomfield Philosophy Scholarship
· Irene Palacios, the Dr. Jack Hoekzema Medical Assisting Scholarship
· Michael Lockhart, Robinson Marte, and Theresa Wang, the Dr. Keith Allen Hinrichsen Scholarship
· Jessica Carroll and Gladys Gonzalez, the English Department Scholarship
· Elzie Velasco and Jeanette Harlow, the Delver’s Gem and Mineral Society Scholarship
· Barbara Rodriguez, the John Boyle Scholarship
· Marie Marroquin, the Jules Crane Scholarship
· Hee Yeong Kim, the U.S.S. Pelias Scholarship
· Christina Kim, the Newton Werner Chemistry Scholarship
· Diana Yanez, the Demian/Carreon Scholarship
· Vincent Narvaez, the Paige “Scholar” Scholarship

To Kosal Sieng, mechanical engineering major, the Glorya Welch Mathematics Scholarship means much more than a dollar amount.

“This award has made me believe that I will be able to overcome my obstacles and achieve my goals,” Sieng said.

Sieng, a Cambodian native, has lived and studied in the United States for three years.
Neither of his parents attained higher than an elementary school education, but both have given Sieng the support to push for an education in a foreign country.

“They have encouraged me to study hard and bring honor to my family and myself.”

While Sieng says that mastering the English language is an obstacle he is working to overcome, a greater challenge has been finding a way to finance his education as an international student.

“The amount of money I spend here is almost the amount I would spend for ten years in tuition fees in Cambodia.”

He is thankful to the Cerritos College Foundation for providing him the means to pay a portion of his tuition at either UC Berkley or UCLA, whichever school better suits his interest in machinery and large engines.

Sieng considers the Academic Excellence Award Annual Program “a big key to motivate and guide students to study hard and have more confidence in their academic careers.”

President/Superintendent Dr. Linda L. Lacy is grateful that this year’s scholarship awards were successful despite the community’s economic hardships.

“It has been difficult during the economic downturn to increase contributions, however, Cerritos has maintained its scholarship awards through the diligent work of the Foundation,” Lacy said.

According to Lacy, “All winners should be congratulated for their dedication, and often sacrifice, to obtain their educational goals.”

Rebeca Vega, Staff Writer