PSA at Norwalk Halloween Festival

Lauren Gandara
Peace Service Association member Khaye Buenaventura volunteering at the Norwalk Halloween Festival. Buenaventura worked in the bingo game area handing out candy to game winners.

Ghouls, goblins, and witches were not the only ones seen at the Norwalk Civic Center’s annual Halloween Festival on Monday night. The Cerritos College Peace Service Association Club also joined the festivities, helping out in the Bingo Booth as part of helping out in the community.

“One of our club missions is to create peace within the community, and this was a good opportunity to fulfill our club goals,” PSA Club Co-President Daniel Fragoso said about volunteering.

He and three other members were the only ones from PSA at the time the festival started.

PSA member Samantha Luque spoke about her reason for volunteering at the event instead of doing something else for Halloween, “I’d rather give my volunteer services to people that need it and to have fun, to make them have fun.”

The event was held by the city of Norwalk, with people residing in Norwalk as well as surrounding cities.

Regarding the turnout, PSA member Daniel Montano said, “I think it’s great because it’s fun and you can have fun with your family and friends.”

In his opinion, Montano said that he felt kids attending the festival seemed safer than them going out trick-or- treating because there were families and security instead of being out on the streets.

Handing out the candy for the winners of the bingo games, club member Khaye Buenaventura said she enjoyed volunteering and had never been to an event like that before. She also mentions how she would pass the festival every year but it was another experience actually being able to participate in the festival.

The club participated in handing out bingo sheets, handing out candy to the kids that participated, as well as the winners of the bingo games.

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.