Scott Martin visits Cerritos to discuss the progress of the Rwanda Project

John Morfin
History professor John Haas (left) speaks with Scott Martin (right), team co-leader for the MBB Rwanda project, about his experiences in Rwanda, Africa. Martin spoke about his role in mediation discussions and local customs in Rwanda, Africa.

Team co-leader of Mediators Beyond Borders for the Rwanda Project Scott Martin visited Cerritos College and spoke to students about his humanitarian efforts in Rwanda in the Teleconference Center on Oct. 17 at 2:30 p.m.

Wycleaf Jean’s song “Million Voices” was played in the beginning of the presentation, followed by a 15 minute clip of the documentary called “Ghosts of Rwanda” for students to see and listen.

After the clip, history professor John Haas sat down with Martin and discussed Martin’s mediating efforts in Rwanda.

In Rwanda, Mediators Beyond Border’s program takes people from different parts of Rwanda and brings them to MBB’s nursery and teaches them skills like farming, business and peacekeeping skills.

That way when these people go back to their farms, they are more efficient. These skills also empower the people in Rwanda to keep peace among themselves and give themselves an identity.

During the end of the presentation, students were allowed to ask questions to Martin.

Landscape articulator major Danny Nunez came to the presentation to have a better view of Rwanda’s progress.

Nunez explained what he learned from the presentation, “We take things for granted and people should be more aware (of issues occurring elsewhere).”

Moses Boguaj, an international relation development major, said, “This presentation was amazing. Coming from Africa and seeing all these things being talk about these are real issues that are affecting all of us in Africa.”

Abraham Venegas
Abraham Venegas, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 I am person who speaks his mind about things or issues and will not censor himself to anybody. I have been attending Cerritos College for three years after graduating from Downey High School. In my downtime I enjoy reading books about social movements throughout history, bike riding, playing futbol, hanging out with friends among other things. I also enjoy watching and talking boxing and if you want to know about the sport or when is the next "big" fight talk to me not the dimwits on ESPN.