Elections for the 2013-14 school year take place

Students+take+part+in+the+elections+for+the+2013-14+school+year.+Candidates+are+running+for+the+position+of+student+trustee%2C+president+and+vice+president.+
Rocio Rodriguez
Students take part in the elections for the 2013-14 school year. Candidates are running for the position of student trustee, president and vice president.

With the Associated Students of Cerritos College Presidential and Trustee elections kicking off today both presidential and trustee hopefuls are doing last minute campaigning to get those swing and last minute voters.

Charles Chung, a computer science major, stepped out to campaign for student trustee hopeful Paolo Roca stating, “I believe that (Roca) has a great platform going into the election.

He wants to publicize more of the campus clubs that is defiantly going to take Cerritos College through a tremendous progress.”

Roca’s campaign was not the only campaign with supporters trying to get to voters before hitting the voting polls.

Trustee candidate Lance Makinano also had supporters campaigning for his win outside of polling places around campus.

Mathematics major Jonathon Putello stepped outside the ASCC polling place to get to student voters and giving them key points to Makinano’s trustee campaign.

“Lance truly wants to help this school, he’s done a great job as ASCC president and (I) believe he would do a great job as student trustee as well,” Putello said.

Putello continued, “I think he (Makinano) will offer better technology. He’s out there and he knows how to help the school and how to help the students.”

Oscar Jaramilla a psychology major decided to vote at the ASCC polling place to vote for his pick on student trustee.

Jaramilla stated that his vote ultimately came to experience stating, “I think his experience is what sold me. He has a lot of experience and will do a perfect job as trustee.”

Although both student trustees and ASCC president hopefuls have supporters campaigning for them, many students around campus seem to be unaware that voting is today and tomorrow.

Welding major Andrew Delgado was unaware that voting was taking place for both student trustees and ASCC president and vice president stating, “No, I don’t really know what it’s about.”

Other students such as an art major Esteban Garcia might not be voting due to classes, but hopes to cast his vote upon becoming more knowledgeable on each candidate.

“If I were to vote I would get more information on what they have done in the past and what they will do,” Garcia said.

Voting polls are open Tuesday, April 10 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Wednesday, April 11 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Results for both student trustee and ASCC president are set to be announced the night of Wednesday, April 11.

Eduardo Alvarado
Eduardo Alvarado, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 Award winning philanthropist, Eduardo Alvarado re-joins the Talon Marks News for a third semester hoping to gain new journalistic experiences through his college journalism career.