Clubs help students connect to campus

“Clubs are very important for students to network and engage. Studies show that they are more successful if they join clubs and are involved on campus,” Coordinator of Student Activities Amna “AJ” Jara said.

Cerritos College offers more than 60 clubs ranging from advocacy clubs like Active Minds to clubs for entertainment interests like Anime Club.

“They serve as a good support system for the students. The school can provide as many resources as it wants, but in clubs, you can find students with the same interest(s) going through the same struggles as you,” Psychology Club president Yadira Carrera said.

If students feel they have the time and are willing to take on that big step, they are encouraged to start a club on campus.

Former Environmental Club president Jennifer Hughes said, “Starting a club successfully requires a solid group of people to commit to meetings and events. This can be difficult due to conflicting schedules and other commitments in the students’ lives.”

“If you are passionate and truly interested in the topic or activity, others will be inspired by your enthusiasm and want to participate. If you hesitate, it will be much more difficult to convince others to show up,” Hughes added.

The first step of starting a club is to visit the Associated Students of Cerritos College (ASCC), located next to the bookstore.

The application process requires that the leader gathers at least ten students in good academic standing and two full time professors as advisors on their roster and then fill out a request form for a room, all part of a three page packet to submit.

The most difficult part of the process may not be starting the club itself, but keeping it running.

“Typically, clubs are the first thing to get dropped from (students’) schedules,” Hughes said.

Club info day will be on Sep. 4 from 10a.m.-1p.m. in Falcon Square and 5-7:30p.m. at the Social Science Building patio. It will also be on Sep. 5 from 10a.m.-1p.m. in Falcon Square.

Alexandra Gomez, Staff Writer
Daydreaming, eating, and then finally writing about the topic is my personal process for creating a story. My name is Alexandra Gomez and I am a psychology addict with a passion for writing. I grew up in Norwalk all of my life, and next year I hope to attend a school farther than the 562 area code.