Patrons seek work at job fair

For students like business administration major Jaime Salgado, the bi-annual job fair gave students a chance to search for jobs at Cerritos College. The fair was held by the Job Placement Center in front of the library on campus last Wednesday.

Salgado said, “I’m trying to find a job that kind of lies with my career choice of accounting. I’ve seen a couple places already like H&R; Block and other places that kind of go with my career field.”

Salgado explained that the job fair is great for students to introduce themselves to the professional world.

“Any opportunity is great for students. I think it’s important that students get experience in a professional business environment.”

Rose Vasquez, administrative secretary of Career Services, talked about the overall vibe.

“It went very well, it was better than what we expected. There was a lot of people who showed up and most of the employers showed up.

“Overall, all the employers got good contacts, they met with a lot of students. The traffic in every single booth was good; most employers rated the fair execellent.”

Forty-three employers were present as they attracted students for potential job opportunities.

MRI technician Christopher Gonzalez commented on the job fair, “At the moment, I am employed, but it’s still good to look around and see what other options are available.”

Angelique Kingston, volunteer coordinator for Gerinet Healthcare said, “We’ll take any(one) and everyone (who is) willing to gather information about the services that we provide.

“We are also here to educate the community about what hospice care is all about.”

Vasquez spoke about the kinds of things students can do to prepare for a job, “Prior to our job fairs, we provide workshops on how to prepare for job fairs and how to put a resume together.

“We do have the job placement office with computers where students can do some research.”

The Job Placement Center is planning on doing another job fair in the spring of 2014.

Luis Guzman
Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.