Talent Show for a Cause: Where everyone is a Winner

The Child Development Club hosted its first talent show in order to raise toys and money for children who wouldn’t be able to receive gifts at Christmas this year.

The goal of the show was to bring people from all around campus together to help out children and families who could be struggling during the holiday season.

The event took place in the Student Center Tuesday, Dec. 3.

“Admission (to the event) is free, but we’re asking for unwrapped toys to go to the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles. We’re also having a baked sale. All of the proceeds from our bake sale will go to adopting a family for Christmas through the department of Social Services,” said Suleyma Castillo, a co-president for the Child Development Club.

The baked sale took place when the doors opened for the event and continued through the whole show, featuring a variety of goodies such as horchata, cookies, nachos and popcorn.

Different clubs from Cerritos College participated in the event such as the Karbakada Club, who performed a Disney melody, and the Dynamic Dance Club, who put on a variety of different dances.

Also children from the Child Development Center sang and danced to different songs like Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” the “Little Mermaid’s” “Part of your World” and ended the show with a group dance of the “Cha Cha Slide.”

There were also acts from people outside the campus like a magician known as “The Great Omar” and a band called “Mommy and Her Singing Sensations,” which consisted of a mother and her two daughters that sang and played guitar to “Ho Hey” by the Lumineers.

When asked about how the show went, other co-president, Jovanna Ledesma said, ”I think it went great. The performances were awesome and I enjoyed everybody.”

Ledesma also went on to say that the turn out was great and that she was surprised. “We got a lot of support from everyone.”

The show had no winners nor losers because the idea was to raise money for charity and for everyone to have a good time.

A basket full of goodies was given out at the end to a winner of the raffle of which the club sold tickets for before hand.

The princess court of the city of Downey awarded the basket to the winner.

“It was a good crowd. We didn’t expect as many people to show up and it turned out to be a big crowd. We are very happy and pleased and thank everybody for coming out”, said Broderick Woods, president of the Dynamic Dance Club, who helped co-MC the event.

The Child Development Club was able to raise $390 along with three large industrial size bags filled with toys.

Larissa Morales
Larissa Morales, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 Hello everyone! My name is Larissa Morales and I am a Journalism major. This is my second semester on the Talon Marks staff and I couldn't be more excited to work with such wonderful colleges; some old and some new! I love writing, which is why I am a Journalism major and I hope to be graduating this May with my AA degree. I was recently married last May and my husband and I are excited to announce that we are expecting our first child. If I can do it, so can you! I hope you all enjoy my stories.