Senior Preview Day invites high school students to campus

High school seniors from local schools visit Cerritos College for Senior Preview Day Friday, April 24. Photo credit: Gustavo Lopez

Music played in the amphitheater, Hot Dog on a Stick gave out food near the library sidewalk and clubs flooded Falcon Square to welcome high school seniors from local high schools Friday, April 24.

The turn out gave the clubs and courses on campus the chance to entice possible future Cerritos College students to join them.

Santa Fe High School student Sophia Martinez was impressed by the cleanly nature of the campus.

She said, “It’s a really nice school, it looks very clean and very well organized, I really like it.”

According to Martinez after the event she is now considering coming to community college.

“I am actually considering going to community college after coming today, I wasn’t planning on coming to Cerritos, but I kind of really do want to come here now,” she said.

A part from visiting Cerritos College, Martinez also visited Long Beach City College.

Monsera Ortiz, also from Santa Fe high school, is planning to study kinesiology.

She said an interesting thing she found out about Cerritos College is the numerous clubs.

She added, “I found it interesting how there’s really a lot of clubs on campus, I didn’t think that compared to Santa Fe high school there would be so many clubs.”

Ortiz wants to go to San Francisco State University, but community college is a place she wishes to attend first.

El Camino High School senior Britney Nunez found Cerritos College to be “nice and organized.”

She said, “I like it [Cerritos college] because everyone is looking into different subjects and I want to come here because I want to do ballet and occupational therapy.”

ASCC Senator Joseph Fierro said it was good to see all of Cerritos College’s representatives out on Falcon Square.

“It’s nice to see seniors engaged, I see them participating a lot and our student government leaders, Talon Marks, [Social] Equality Club and everyone is out here,” he said.

Fierro added that he wished to pay credit to those responsible for the clean campus.

“I have to give credit to where credit is due, Go Green Committee and I’m sure everyone involved tries to make this campus clean so kudos to them,” he said.

Sebastian Echeverry, Editor in Chief
Hello all, my name is Sebastian Echeverry and I am the Editor-in-Chief for the fall 2015 semester. I have been working for the newspaper for four semesters now and slowly climbed the ranks from staff writer, to assistant sports editor, to sports editor, news/managing editor and finally the big cheese. My interest in journalism began when the twin towers fell on September 11 and the U.S. invaded Iraq. Global news coverage of airstrikes in Baghdad plagued the media and my father who served in the Colombian military would sit with me and explain what was going on to me. I was only eight years old at the time, so putting politics aside, I was only interested in how reporters on the front lines were seeing history unfold in front of them. Since then, I enjoyed reading and writing especially about global news. My first taste of research was for a high school paper about the militias still active in the U.S. I remember sipping some brew outside on the Coffee Bean's patio and being swallowed up by data, and liking it. I Currently have a part time job at Calvin Klein, my favorite sport is soccer and I love, Barcelona, Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund. I also enjoy watching hockey and my favorite team there is the Detroit Red Wings, yeah weird I know. I'm an easy person to approach and talk to and if you have story ideas let's get cracking on them! my email is: [email protected] My Twitter is: C_bass581141 My Instagram is: onlyc_bass5 and for giggles my snapchat is: onlyc_bass5