Faculty senate discusses math department issue

Faculty Senate met for the first time this semester to discuss the math department issue, student transfers, and the university mega fair.

The meeting was Tuesday, Aug. 26.

Many students struggle getting their Associate Arts certificate and transferring due to the fact that they are required to take math classes.

Around 40 percent of students are at a sixth grade math level in Cerritos College and have a hard time passing the classes.

President of Cerritos College Dr. Jose Fierro had full confidence in the math department and how they wanted to change the teaching of the subject for the better.

The automotive department believes that math is getting in the way of students moving onto other classes due to the math requirements.

“Math is a nationwide issue,” Dr. Fierro said.

The math department will continue to deal with the issues and will look for ways to resolve the existing issues.

Faculty senate also discussed the transfer push and the University Mega Fair.

According to Brittany Lundeen, the Teacher Trac Counselor, the transfer push is a way for students to be ready to move on in their education career.

“There will be a scavenger hunt to encourage students to look at two CAL States, two UC schools, and one private and one out-of-state school, once they fill out forms for those schools, they can turn in the prize at the transfer center and they will be entered in a raffle to win $50 for the bookstore,” Lundeen said.

There will be three winners and information on the winners will be available at the Transfer Center.

The University Mega Fair will take place on Thursday, Sep. 3 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Falcon Square.

It was announced in the meeting that USC will be at the event and will do a presentation at 12:30 p.m.

Faculty senate secretary nominations were held off due to the scheduling of classes.

Lewellen said, “The class schedules are decided before the nominations of positions and therefore it is difficult to take on the position.”

The nominations will be revisited at the next faculty senate meeting.

Ethan Ortiz, Editor in Chief
Hi! My name is Ethan and I am serving as the Editor-In-Chief for the Fall 2016 semester. I am a journalism major and love to write stories for the newspaper. In addition to writing hard hitting news, I like to create fictional stories on the side. I am co-hosting a radio show on WPMD at Cerritos College called "Beyond the Ropes" happening Wednesday at 11am. I like to listen different music, mostly Rock/Alternative and some of my favorite bands are Silversun Pickups, Cage the Elephant, and Metallica. If you want to know more about me feel free to tweet me at @EthanEnvy95.