Faculty senate discusses lower textbook costs

Textbooks are not cheap and Cerritos College looks to help students get an education while saving money.

Director of College Relations Miya Walker gave an overview of the Textbook Affordability Act of 2015.

The purpose of the act is to reduce textbook costs for students, which has been a hot topic for faculty senate since the beginning of the semester.

The plan is to increase the adoption of Open Education Resources by faculty at CSUs and CCCs through 2020.

OER has already helped over 4,000 students and saved almost $500,000.

The bill was first introduced by Assembly Member Susan Bonilla in February of this year.

The district also submitted a joint Letter of support with ASCC to the Senate Education Committee in June.

In addition, Cerritos College is the only school to send a letter to request for the signature of Governor Jerry Brown.

The letter was sent in September and as of now, it is still waiting for approval.

There was also concern over faculty using Cerritos College’s exclusive textbooks and if there was a possibility to use outside books.

Due to time, the issue was moved for a later date.

Counselor Brittany Lundeen announced a transfer conference.

The conference will be from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 30.

“There will be a student panel of past students that are now in the UC and CSU system,” Lundeen said.

Students will be able to ask questions and get more information about the different school systems.

Three workshops will be held throughout the conference that feature: UCs, CSUs, private schools and out of state schools.

A Transfer 101 workshop will be held twice for any students that misses one, and lunch will be provided.

More information can be found at the Transfer Center website.

Music Director David Betancourt discussed the Academic Excellence Award nomination areas.

Every year, students get nominated by their professors for excelling in a particular subject and they receive an award.

The issue that was talked about was that there are too many fields for every subject and it needed to be changed.

“The award ceremonies are long, and by the end of it, students are tired and people are leaving,” Michelle Lewellen, senate president, said.

Other issues arose during the discussion as some faculty felt certain areas shouldn’t be taken out.

Betancourt will report back to the committee with the issues.

Ethan Ortiz, Editor in Chief
Hi! My name is Ethan and I am serving as the Editor-In-Chief for the Fall 2016 semester. I am a journalism major and love to write stories for the newspaper. In addition to writing hard hitting news, I like to create fictional stories on the side. I am co-hosting a radio show on WPMD at Cerritos College called "Beyond the Ropes" happening Wednesday at 11am. I like to listen different music, mostly Rock/Alternative and some of my favorite bands are Silversun Pickups, Cage the Elephant, and Metallica. If you want to know more about me feel free to tweet me at @EthanEnvy95.