Schilling’s run for presidency at El Camino comes to an end

The run for presidency at El Camino College came to a draw for Cerritos’ College Vice-President of Academic Affairs Dr. JoAnna Schilling.

It was announced on Tuesday, Oct. 27 by the El Camino Union that Dena Maloney of Taft College was selected to be the next college president.

Schilling stated that the process was long, but instructive.

She said, “I first interviewed with a hiring committee of about 15 people. I was one of five finalists who presented to the campus community at a forum, before having a 90-minute interview with the board.”

Schilling recalled that two weeks later the process went on, as she became one of the two finalists to interview with the board for two hours before they made their decision.

“It was hard to be in the position of waiting for someone else to make a decision that might dramatically affect my life, but I think it’s an important process to go through for anyone,” the vice president expressed.

“Not getting something you’ve worked for is often far more instructive than having things come easily.”

The vice president of academic affairs declared that the experience itself was great and hailed El Camino as an excellent college.

El Camino Board President William J. Beverly said, “Dr. Schilling was an outstanding candidate who rose to the top in an elite pool of applicants. She will certainly have a distinguished career as a future leader in the community college system.”

Schilling expressed excitement about continuing to work at Cerritos College and expressed that in her run she was reminded of all of the upcoming advancements for the campus community.

She stated, “I believe in having new experiences, whether that is here at Cerritos or somewhere else, so I was excited by a new opportunity, but it also reminded me of all the great things happening at Cerritos and how much I want to be part of that.”

“We are just about to launch a new app for students, our completion dashboards, and a new basic skills initiative, and I am really eager to see how all of these things are received by students,” she said.

The Cerritos College community will count with Schilling to continue her work with the student body.

She concluded, “Continuing to work hard for the students at Cerritos, and listening to how we can keep improving on the services, and programs we offer here. I am very happy to be here.”

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese