Career Services offers resume assistance

Ethan Oritz
Traci Ukita, career services counselor walks students through what makes a good resume. Students were able to point out mistakes in resumes to better grasp what makes a good resume.

The Re-Entry Resource Program has several workshops planned throughout the spring semester and the latest was the resume basics workshop.

The workshop was held on Tuesday, Feb. 16, run by Traci Ukita, Career Services counselor.

There was about 10 students in attendance looking to learn more about how to format and construct a resume, as well as impress an employer.

“I wanted to know how to grab an employers attention,” said Alex Snarely, business administration major.

The counselor in charge explained how important it was to make a proper resume so employers would take applicants serious.

“Different surveys say that employers look at resumes for about 15 seconds or less,” she said.

Ukita handed out a mock resume that showed the wrong way to make a resume and an accepted version that employers would be impressed with.

Students went through the error-filled version and pointed out the mistakes, followed by Ukita going over the reasons why the resume was wrong.

She continued by discussing the proper way to make a resume and the key elements one should have.

There are two major elements to focus on, the content, and the format.

Ukita explained that the content is the info that goes in the resume and that the format us how it is designed and organized.

For content, it has to be accurate and honest, while emphasizing accomplishments and having no errors.

The students learned that having experience is a big way to impress employers, and how far back they should include their work experience.

“You should go back about 10 years in work experience, more than that is unnecessary,” Ukita said.

To help gather a persons work, she showed the audience Linked In, a website to keep and provide a person’s work experience for an employer to see.

She gave an example on how a person’s profile should look like by showing her own Linked In.

In addition to experience, she revealed applicants can present is educational experience, which may also serve as an alternative for someone with no prior work experience.

The educational features that can be included in the resume are major projects, and any club experience.

Ukita explained it takes time to complete the resume and that no resume should be more that two pages.

Ethan Ortiz
Ethan Ortiz, Editor in Chief
Hi! My name is Ethan and I am serving as the Editor-In-Chief for the Fall 2016 semester. I am a journalism major and love to write stories for the newspaper. In addition to writing hard hitting news, I like to create fictional stories on the side. I am co-hosting a radio show on WPMD at Cerritos College called "Beyond the Ropes" happening Wednesday at 11am. I like to listen different music, mostly Rock/Alternative and some of my favorite bands are Silversun Pickups, Cage the Elephant, and Metallica. If you want to know more about me feel free to tweet me at @EthanEnvy95.