Cerritos College students network during Club Info Day

Cerritos College held their semi-annual Club Info Day on Aug. 29, where students were offered dozens of options to see what club interested them the most and what their best fit would be.

The Associated Students of Cerritos College coordinated the event to ensure that all of the clubs or groups had their own tent and table ready to greet Cerritos students.

The group that caught many of the students attention was the Welcome Home Therapy Dog group.

Anne Sbragia, worker for the therapy group, described their goal of the organization as, “bringing happiness to students” in L.A. County schools.

Each dog has their own set of tricks and skills that make them special.

These fluffy pups visit hospitals, middle and high schools to ease the anxieties and angst of students and patients.

Jocelyn Donis, student at Cerritos with an undeclared major, has six dogs of her own and states that dogs can bring “relaxation” to people with the help of this nurturing group.

Alex Schmitten, event representative of NHL Ducks, offered sports fans raffle tickets for a chance to win a free Ducks T-shirt and the winner was announced the day of the club info day at 1 PM.

Schmitten presented the opportunity to attend a NHL Ducks Game that Cerritos will be hosting on Nov. 7 at 7:30.

The Cosmetology class is a three-semester course that specializes in everything ranging from nails to facials. Students will put in 40 hours a week and develop new learning skills.

This group is open to the public. Students can schedule an appointment or simply walk in for as little as $5 for a haircut.

They are located in the Health Science building on the second floor.

Chapal Barua, a Cerritos College alum, wanted to help “build a community” with the Chicanos/Latinos For Community Medicine organization.

They provide workshops varying from learning how to perform CPR to administer IV’s properly.

The workshops are held at both UCLA and UCI for pre-Health or Pre-Med and Pre-Health students.

The Commercial Music Club is a hands-on course that takes place every fall.

This club allows participants to collaborate with artists and producers, meet new people with a passion for music.

Students can earn a certificate in music or an Associates degree.

Ulizes Rivera, member of the club, describes the environment as “laid back and chill.”

Some days they just sit back, eat snacks, and enjoy music.

Students found this intriguing because as much as making music is substantial, music appreciation can be even more bonding.

Cerritos students successfully gathered together to join and network into diverse clubs in the community.

When asked what the goal of Club Info day was, Megan Lor, business major, states that these organized conventions helps most students break out of their shell.

Lor joined 4 clubs including the China Club and Circle K.

Another student at Cerritos, Natali Marquez, describes the clubs as a “safe space for students.”

Further information about clubs or organizations can be found on http://www.cerritos.edu/activities/clubsandorganizations.htm or at the Student Activities office.

Tiara White, Staff Writer