Go Green pushes to reintroduce plant life

Carmelita Islas Mendez
Go Green Task Force advisors and club members worked to bring back local wildlife by planting native plants. The plants were brought in and planted on Feb. 22.

Changes to the Cerritos College campus continues with Go Green Task Force organization and efforts. The club organized an event to plant California native plants on Feb. 22.

The plants are being put into the island on Old Falcon Way and are being supported by excess landscaping funds.

According the Go Green’s advisor, Anna Valcarcel, many species are being included to improve local conditions and to positively impacts “local wildlife.”

She said that when deciding on which plants to include, the club actively thought of the purpose and use of the garden so that bees, butterflies and birds could be reintroduced into the local environment, all to benefit the ecosystem.

Valcarcel said, “We have California native plants here that have adapted to the amount of precipitation that we naturally get in California. The idea being that we would not have to water them too often and then it would draw in native wildlife.”

The choices were also discussed with purchasing and facilities officials, who approved of the Task Force’s landscape plans, according to club member Philip Herrera.

He said, “Go green’s goal is to bring sustainable awareness and initiatives to the campus.”

In addition to benefiting the environment, it would also benefit the college said Valcarcel allowing different departments to use and observe the plants.

She said, “It is all about having a holistic approach.”

“If you’re getting ready to graduate soon, like I am, and you’re thinking ‘what am I leaving behind at this school,’ this is literally something you can plant and leave behind,” Herrera said, “When you come back for a reunion you can see how big your tree has gotten and just be proud that a piece of your hard work here.”

Carmelita Islas Mendez
Carmelita Islas Mendez, News Editor