Security methods on campus should be more diverse

With so many different school attacks happening in recent years, is there still no way to make school safer?

Sure, calling campus police whenever there is an emergency might be the easiest way to go, but even then there might be the trouble of successfully getting through to them or maybe not being able to reach them quick enough.

There’s also the problem of the time it takes for security to come and help. Also locating you or finding a suspect might take up time too.

The standard call or fire alarm might be a thing of the past. However, since technology is evolving fast and coming up with material that can get people help faster whenever a dangerous situation is presented.

There’s an app for everything these days, so it’s no surprise that there would be a potential life saving app developed for dangerous school situations. The app, named ‘LiveSafe’ operates with only a handful of colleges and is able to sent video, audio or images with a tagged GPS location according to the app’s website.

It seems like such a flawless idea, but getting students to download the app is a whole different thing. There are always students who do not download it because they feel safe enough in their school or never think a dangerous situation would occur to them.

So what is one to do when a smartphone with a life saving app in no where near? After all, phones are sometimes taken away in hostage situations, so what do you do then?

A creative and imaginative idea would be for campuses to have a “safe button” like banks. They can be located in different locations around school. Much like a fire alarm, it can alert security of dangerous situations taking place.

On a more plausible option, security cameras can be placed in darker and less socializing places around campus and have more lights installed in those dark areas.

Campus police can also raise up their security watch around campus, especially during the night and keep an eye on those who come on campus without actually being students.

Solmayra Mendez
Solmayra Mendez, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 Hello. My name is Solmayra and this is my second semester being on the talon marks staff. Having taken this class before, I learned a lot about the steps that are taken to bring a newspaper together and really liked enjoyed working with the rest of the writers and editors.