Roberts to debut in university’s volleyball team

Jasmynne Roberts has signed a scholarship and will be going to University of Antelope Valley to play on the school’s first-ever volleyball team.

“The signing was a pretty nerve-wracking and happy moment for me as it was my first one,” she said.

Roberts went to Long Beach Poly High School where she played two years of volleyball and was on the track and field team where she participated in the shot put and discuss throw.

“I grew up in the sport and I just grew a passion for it,” she said.

Women’s volleyball head coach Teresa Velazquez said she’s going to be a big help to the school’s team as this is the first year they have the program.

Velasquez said, “Last year, she made the first team as the South Coast conference. She was picked for that which is something very good.”

While at Cerritos, Roberts was able to accrue 583 career kills placing her fifth all-time. She led the team with 339 kills and 272 digs this season ranking ninth and tenth on the college’s single-season record list.

She led the team with double-digit kills in 20 of the 22 games the Falcons played. She reached a career high 27 kills in a five-set win against Long Beach City College and 26 in a match against College of the Canyons.

Velazquez said, “I’m very glad and proud of her that she has a scholarship and that she’ll be able to play at the school. It’ll be a good experience for her.”

Fellow volleyball teammate Tisha Lenon said, “I’m very happy and proud of her. She deserves it because she’s very talented and helped lead our team to get 2nd in league.”

Roberts said of her team, “They are lots of fun and as competitive as I am. That’s why we meshed together and we got along as well as work hard. We’re really athletic.”

When she transfers, she plans to change her major from liberal arts to criminology and plans to become a criminal investigator.

Michael Garcia, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi I'm Michael. I have been off for two semesters but i decided to come back as a journalism major. I'm interested in technology, hip hop, and video games. I started off as computer science major and even though I love technology I found that programming wasn't for me. I would love to write for a nerd/tech stie in the future. I have a passion for pizza.