Falcon basketball’s Jason Carter inks with four-year university

Falcons’ men’s basketball player Jason Carter inks with Lindsey Wilson University. His offer includes a two-year scholarship to play ball and an additional year to obtain his masters degree. Photo credit: Malik Smith

Cerritos College men’s basketball forward Jason Carter signed to Lindsey Wilson University on May 15.

The university he will be attending is a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics school in Kentucky.

Lindsey Wilson University gave Carter a three year scholarship to the program, where he will be given the opportunity to play two seasons and have a extra year to work on his masters degree.

Carter said his former Amateur Athletics Union coach, who’s also his mentor was his biggest influence on his decision on which university to go to.

He said they talked over it many times and ultimately decided that Lindsey Wilson University is the best decision for him.

The Lindsey Wilson Blue Raiders posted a 24-9 record last season and went 6-8 in conference.

The Blue Raiders play in the Mid-South Conference of the NAIA Division 1.

Carter said after signing, “I would like to thank my family and the coaching staff for always supporting him, and most importantly my teammates for always pushing me to be better in practice and taking us all the way to the Final Four.”

IMG_4133.JPG.jpeg
Jason Carter is all smiles with head coach Russ May, after signing with an NAIA Division 1 university. Carter helped lead the Falcons to the Final Four in one season of play. Photo credit: Malik Smith

The 6-foot-7 post player averaged 10 points and six rebounds per game for the Falcons last season.

Carter helped the team a 27-6 overall record in 2017-18 and a spot in the Final Four.

He talked about his experience at Cerritos College, he said, “My career as a Falcon was amazing I learned so much about myself as a player and person.

“I gained so much confidence. I wish I could’ve been able to play for Cerritos for two years instead of one.”

Carter did not play in the Final Four game after spraining his ankle the day before in the Elite Eight round, a win versus Yuba College.

He said, “What we did this year will never be forgotten. We created a brotherhood and I know for a fact we would’ve won the state championship if I didn’t get hurt and I say that in the most humblest way.”

He also said that the Elite Eight round in the California Community College Athletic Association tournament was his most memorable moment of the year.

Carter chose to sign with Lindsey Wilson, because he felt it was the best fit for his play style.

According to Carter, his role will be “a leader on and off the court, make plays, bring toughness and energy every night. I want to be the leader. I want to be that go to guy for anything we need.”

He had other schools offering him full scholarships as well.

The other schools that made offers were Jamestown University, William Jessup University, William Woods University and San Marcos University.

Carter talked about his goals heading into Lindsey Wilson, he said his goals are to “be the best leader I can be for my team, win a championship (two if possible), graduate with my degree and enjoy my journey out there.”

He also mentioned that he won three rings in high school and let it be known that they were back to back to back.

Carter said, “I’ve always been a winner. I never play to lose. I try to bring that to every team I play for.

“Winning a championship is a unbelievable feeling and I love it. It proves your the best,” Carter said.

“Hopefully with the Blue Raiders I can get two more rings to add to my collection. That’s my main focus.”

He continued, “I just thank GOD, my loved ones and brothers for everything. Anyone who knows me knows everything I been through and I’m truly blessed to have a full scholarship to play basketball.

“I promised my mom I would get a degree and that’s what I’m going to do. I want everyone to remember me and to be on the lookout next year because I’m coming twice as hard! #THEYSLEEP”

Malik Smith
Malik Smith, Staff Writer
Malik Smith is a staff writer here at Talon Marks, he also is a athlete here at Cerritos College he is finishing out his second year on the Men’s Basketball team. His major is communication/journalism and he hopes to transfer to a 4 year university on a scholarship next year.
Jah-Tosh Baruti
Jah-Tosh Baruti, Staff Writer
Jah-Tosh Baruti is author of the sports column titled Shmackem. Previously he was sports editor for Talon Marks. Baruti also took home an award for his sports writing at the Journalism Association of Community Colleges’ state conference in 2018.