Bianca Bitches: how to deal with the fact that you are a relic

Photo credit: Carlos Martinez & Carlos Ruiz

We have all now reached that point in our lives that when someone says the year a childhood movie came out and you respond with, “No, it didn’t. Wait…”

Now don’t be alarmed, but, you have now entered the adult stage of your life where you have to make your own doctor appointments and have realized that sweet foods are too sweet.

I’m here to be that matronly voice and tell you, “don’t worry, you got this.”

It is definitely stressful making that transition to knowing what time the cartoons came on on Saturday morning to knowing the deadline for turning in your taxes.

Now I know in high school, the school district was more concerned with you memorizing the dates of battles in World War II than learning how to file your taxes or how to cope with your social anxiety while trying to schedule your doctor appointment.

However, we have all been thrusted into adulthood by a society where we are expected to know such things as how the bank operates and how to rent a place to live and we haven’t been taught how to do such things.

Apparently a class about how to take care of a baby, cook and sew was more important than learning how to manage your expenses.

Fear not, those who know the words to the song that was sung in “Zoboomafu” whenever the Kratt Brothers went out on an adventure, we will get through this thing called adulthood.

As millenials, we all depend on ole reliable, Google, and that would be a good place to start to learn tips on how to function as an adult, but please stay away from Wikihow or Wikipedia.

These sites may seem helpful and credible but don’t put blind faith in strangers’ hands.

Find credible sites when it comes to learning such things as how to file taxes, how to manage your finances or how to apply for a place to live.

You can visit your local library and find books pertaining to these aspects of life written by bonafide experts.

Don’t feel overwhelmed or afraid to ask for advice from friends or family, you’re still new to this change and they were in your shoes once.

Fortunately, adulthood isn’t a total bummer and there are some highpoints.

Once you get past the novelty of being able to do things without your parents’ permission and going to nightclubs, you begin to realize that you are now the tio that swings the pinata around at birthday parties.

You can get that tattoo that you have always wanted and your mom no longer feels entitled to hit you for it.

Bianca Martinez
Bianca Martinez, Editor in Chief