‘Swingin’ with new jams of the def mans music’

From the vintage vault of the 40s and 50s to today’s new releases and around a Hip-Hop and R&B; corner, these are the genres covered by this year’s Intercollegiate Broadcasting System award nominees.

Previous two-time nominee and President of the Broadcasting Club Saveon Simon has been nominated once again for ‘Best Station ID.’

“I haven’t [received] one for ‘Def Mans Music’ but I’m just glad to have a nomination. I mean it basically says that I am a good reader and speaker and that’s really important on the air.”

His show “Def Mans Music,” basically brings back a lot of hip-hop, R&B; and old school flavor to the radio.

Simon and his co-hosts also do a thing called “Mic Check,” where they basically just free style on air.

“At WPMD we do make a difference and we will continue to bless the mic like we do, give people everything they need to know and hopefully we come back with some trophies,” says Simon.

Peggy Sue, along with her co-host and cousin Johnny Ray, serve as the hosts of WPMD’s Wednesday 1 p.m. slot, “Swingin’ With The World,” a radio show dedicated to music stemming from the 40s and 50s.

Peggy Sue spoke of her three other inspirations Glen Miller, Benny Goodman and Tommy Dorsey with nostalgia fit for an old soul, declaring that, “They bring back an era where music was simpler, you didn’t even need words to communicate what you were feeling.”

Ray specifically hosts a portion of the show called “The Spotlight Corner,” where he comments, reviews and gives interesting tid-bits on movies from the 40s and 50s.

Cerritos College’s own were nominated for ‘Best Specialty Music Show.’

“I feel very grateful that I have been nominated, they [IBS] said that there are four times more entries than last time,” Sue said.

Johnny Ray added, “It feels great…I’m very happy that we got nominated, it’s a great thing.”

Being his first time participating in IBS, Carlos Madrigal, also known as C’Los, is very proud and honored to have received a nomination for ‘Best Specialty Music Program’ as well for his show “The New Jams Radio Hour.”

Which primarily introduces new music from alternative rock to pop and some R&B; and airs every Thursday at 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.

“It’s amazing how many radio stations are competing…it doesn’t matter who wins as long as the station is nominated, it shows that there is talent here,” Madrigal said.

He has been part of WPMD for over 8 years and has developed most of his talent, skills, knowledge and professionalism there.

“Taking it to the next step is always important and I really like this station, you have good energy when you come in here. This is where talent is born,” Madrigal adds.

“They’re all really dedicated to doing this show, they all put a lot of time into what they do…you hope you’ll find people like that, you hope you can develop that kind of passionate people while you’re here and it’s so rewarding to see that blossom in people like that, it’s just great,” Co-advisor of WPMD, Casey Piotrowski said.

Nicolette Aguirre, Arts Editor
Spring 2015 Hello all, my name is Nicolette and I am the Arts Editor at Talon Marks. This is my first semester as Arts Editor and it's a bit stressing but I'm really looking forward to doing page design. Besides hanging out at the newsroom most of the time, I really enjoy going to shows, mainly tribute shows :D I also enjoy listening to music specially 80's Metal!!! But I also like classic, alternative, and spanish rock. Other than that, my other hobbies are hanging out with friends, laughing, doodling or drawing, writing, watching funny or cool stuff and playing guitar even though I've been sick lagging but trying to get back into it. Any who, that's pretty much it :]
Briana Velarde, Online Editor
Just a journalist in the making. You can call me Bree.  This is my last semester on the newspaper but like everyone else I started as a staff writer. I have also been Social Media, Multimedia, and Arts & Entertainment editor. Currently pursuing a career in journalism. Music, entertainment, and visual stories are my passion. How much time do I spend in the newsroom? All day. Well maybe not all day because I work at a theater and sweep popcorn for a living, but hey these bills aren't going to pay themselves. My ultimate goal to become a digital content producer for a radio station. If all else fails catch me designing for a magazine like Complex or Fader. Since my life revolves online, therefore I am your current Online Editor. Excited to be able to share my content on the online and print version of Talon Marks, read all about it!
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese
Lauren Torres, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 My name is Lauren, i'm twenty-seven, and I love to write. My short term goals are to get my Bachelors Degree in Journalism so i can travel the world for free as a travel writer and to finish the novel i've been working on. I also love to paint and work with inks and ink washes mostly. Fiction books and comic books are my favorite things to read. In my free time i try to watch new movies and shows, generally be outside and in nature or exploring a new area, and cooking, even though i'm not terribly good at it. I'm a vegetarian with hopes of becoming a vegan if i can get over my love of cheese. I love animals, i have two chinchilla's, a dachshund, and a tortoise.