Kicking it with Velvateen

Velvateen’s rising popularity is causing a storm.
Rebecca Aguila
Jacob Jimenez, 25, and Sammy “Ramone” Santos, perform at the popular pirate themed Redwood Bar in Downtown Los Angeles Sept, 7.

The last time we left off with the up and coming band, Velvateen, they were on the verge of just getting settled in the south Los Angeles backyard ska and punk scene.

Velvateen is a garage-rock band that is known for their classic rock n roll sound from the early 2000’s circa whose sound is certainly all up in your face. Their style is inspired by many bands that have influenced Velvateens unique sound such as Rob Zombie and Queens of the Stone Age.

Jacob Jimenez, 25, and his new and improved drummer, Sammy “Ramone” Santos, 24, have been hitting more than just the backyard shows to perform this year.

TM Rebecca Aguila
Jacob Jimenez, 25, created Velvateen revive the backyard scene that has died down since The Red Pears became a lot more popular.

“We’ve been gaining a lot more momentum and more movement at our performances”, states Jimenez.

When people begin to move around or “create a pit” it shows the performer that they are indeed into the music that the band is producing. This makes it easier for Velvateen t get comfortable in whatever atmosphere they perform in.

Jimenez and Santos have noticed that the crowd seems to be a lot more sociable especially since Jimenez does a lot of footwork to get Velvateen noticed.

Velvateen has been performing at bar venues now and now they’re gaining a lot more popularity in the metropolitan area of Los Angeles and Hollywood.

Jimenez is a former Cerritos college student and spent most of his time using the campus and students as a way for him to get his demos out by passing them out. Even being a full-time college student, Jimenez still managed to achieve his academics and promote his music.

Jimenez has been putting in major work to show people his band and they raw sound Velvateen produces by passing out his flyers and business cards.

Recently, the band has produced even more merchandise such as new T-shirt designs and produced demos of his songs.

Sam Santos gives Velvateen that desired heavy beat when performing. Him and Jimenez seem to go with each others vibe which is critical for a two-person band. Santos started playing drums at the early adolescent age of 4 and is professional magician.

TM Rebecca Aguila
Velvateen performs their hit song “Black Magic at the Redwood Bar in Downtown Los Angeles Sept, 7.

“I met Jacob through a mutual friend and he told me that Jacob really needed a drummer”, states Santos.

Sam Santos has his own production studios at his home entitled “Hooligan Studios” in which he helps create and produce Velvateens music.

Velvateen is wild and they definitely like to keep the intense energy as the play a unique sound that is raw and uncut. It gives the audience to reminisce about the old school days of 2000’s era of Marilyn Manson’s’ rock band.

The band plans in releasing an album within the year.

Rebecca Aguila
Rebecca Aguila, Multimedia Editor
Rebecca Aguila is the currently Multi-media editor and is a 22-year-old student who is majoring Journalism who is set to graduate Spring 2021. Her dream is to create a multi-media production company that is internationally available for an array of content creators. She is a lover of all types of food and will eventually be the creator and producer of food documentary series that highlights the authentic dishes throughout the world.