Zombie Fest ‘infects’ student body

Zombies and other creatures roamed the Cerritos College campus on Thursday, Oct. 29 for Zombie Fest.

A carnival themed maze took over the Falcon Square fountain as a live band provided background music.

Clubs such as the Dreamers Club, had booths dedicated to informing students about what they can provide.

Dreamers Club President Ana Gonzalez said, “We’re out here fundraising and having fun with college students and also bringing awareness to our club, […] bringing more people into our club, sharing resources, pretty much connect with one another.”

Once students filled out a waiver they were greeted by David Jacob Mireles, art major, who was decked out in a joker-esque outfit.

He expressed, “The maze itself is carnival themed. […] At nighttime, we’re not going to concentrate on flags, no flags here, no cones, no flags; we’re going to concentrate on scares.”

“Me personally, I would assume we’re doing this for the good ole thrill of Halloween,” Mireles said.

Joseph Heber, commercial music major expressed that this was the most active he has ever seen the campus as he stood in line to go into the Carnival Carnage maze.

“I almost made it to the end and then I was double-teamed. I was at the very end and the zombie that had just passed, came from behind and just pulled my flag,” Heber said about the maze.

The flags Heber referred to were belts placed on maze-goers’ waists as they dodged zombies inside of the wood and tarp made labyrinth

The goal of the maze was to make it to the other end without losing flags, losing a flag meant a metaphorical death.

If a person lost a flag they were to lay one of the cones given to them on the floor to represent where they died.

A person who survived the maze had the opportunity to go back and pick up a cone to save participants who died and in the end could redeem cones that would count toward club points.

According to Mireles, the maze was done to represent clubs who were racking up points for a small contest, which entailed a money prize.

The festival, which started at 11:00 a.m. and ended at noon returned to Falcon Square at night from 5:30p.m. to 8:30 p.m. with a fright maze.

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese