Students may be paying more in fees

The students of Cerritos College may have to pay more in student fees in the upcoming semesters.

Including a raise in the student health fee, the parking fee and the addition of a technology fee.

In cabinet meetings on Monday Feb. 25 and Monday March 5, presentations were given to explain why the fees are necessary.

Nancy Montgomery, coordinator of student health services, gave a presentation for a raise in the student health fee.

She proposed a raise from $14 to $16, which is the highest the state of California allows.

According to Montgomery, Cerritos College is toward the top in regard to the amount of health services it provides to students.

“All colleges do not provide the same type of student health services… We are a full medical clinic.”

Dean of Academic Success and Institutional Effectiveness, Bryan Reece, also gave a presentation but for the addition of a technology fee.

According to Reece, the fee would be $5 and be used to keep the “Smart Classrooms” up-to-date and allow the school to add new ones.

Based off of student surveys that are sent out he concluded that “Students are engaged in the classroom.” and “When (students) leave the classroom is when the problems start, that’s when they go over the cliff.”

Reece hopes that with the implementation of the technology fee Cerritos College will be able to bridge that gap and keep students engaged outside of the classroom as well.

Cerritos College Campus Police Chief, Richard Bukowiecki gave the presentation for the raise in parking fees.

According to Bukowiecki, the $5 raise in the cost of the parking permit will be to sustain Campus Police, which has been running in a deficit.

“My total personal cost is $1.3 million, average yearly income is $1.2 million..see I’m already running in the red.”

The raise in the permit price will only affect students, said Bukowiecki, because the staff has its prices as a part of its contract with Cerritos College.

State law says that students that benefit from finical aid, including the FASFA or the BOG wavier, can not be charged more than $30. Because of that the raised fee will only apply to students who are not getting any financial aid.

Cabinet members had the chance to decide to pass these fees on Monday March 11, but due to the legislation not being drafted yet, it was tabled for the next meeting.

Once the legislation is voted on it will then go to senate, faculty senate and its final approval will be by the board of trustees.

Sarah Niemann, Staff Writer