Put hidden fees out of commission

Emily Maciel
Hidden fees are inconvenient and need to be banned. Photo credit: Emily Maciel

Hidden fees are something that many ticketing sites use to gain profit from selling tickets and they need the boot.

The fees are called hidden for a reason and it’s because people don’t realize they are being charged until they are ready to hit the checkout button.

These fees cause frustration and many avid sports fans or concertgoers don’t like these extra fees they have to pay for in addition to their original ticket.

For starters, the extra hidden fees can be outrageous and be up to 30 dollars or even more sometimes depending on the ticketing site.

The amount you pay in fees depends on where you want to sit and how many tickets you will be purchasing.

The closer you sit in the venue, the more in fees you will have to pay. You also have to pay the amount in fees for each individual ticket being purchased.

The location of seating can be understandable as to why someone who sits in the front row has to pay more than someone who sits in the nosebleeds but paying these fees per ticket is insane.

It would be more logical if the more you buy tickets the less in hidden fees you have to pay.

Some places like Disneyland make their tickets cheaper for buyers if you purchase multiple days.

Another thing to think about is going out to events is a luxury, not a necessity, and with prices being so expensive everywhere these days, the average person doesn’t get to go to many events in one year.

These fees can be a make or break if someone can afford to go. A lot of families go to sporting events and you can imagine this can get pretty pricey.

Not to mention most venues offer one flat rate for the ticket prices and there are no child or senior discounts so people are forced to pay the full amount.

These things also factor in where people are going to sit and many of them will have to sacrifice good seats because of the money they are going to be spending on the fees.

Purchasing tickets at the box office is not convenient because, by the time you drive to the venue and back, the money you tried to save on fees has just gone to pay for high gas prices.

Leagues should create their own ticketing sites instead of using third-party ticketing sites such as StubHub and Ticketmaster.

Major League Baseball has its own called MLB Ballpark but there are still fees that fans have to pay.

The United States Senate introduced the Fans First Act which would make ticketing sites and sellers show the total cost of the tickets including the fees up front so fans are not misled or confused.

This is a step in the right direction but the fees need to be gone completely.

Emily Maciel
Emily Maciel, Co-Sports Editor
Emily Maciel is the Co-Sports & Co-Social Media Editor for Talon Marks as she returns for her second semester with the newspaper. She is in her third season of working for the Los Angeles Angels as well as her second season with the Cerritos College baseball team. She plans to transfer to a University for the Fall 2024 semester and work for the MLB one day.