This week in sports: Sept. 29

Sophomore Chelsea James gets into position to pounce the ball back into the opposing offense during practice.

Los Angeles Harbor College, Long Beach City College, Los Angeles Trade-Technical College and El Camino-Compton Center are all the schools dropping by at Cerritos College to face sports teams in competition in this week in sports.

After a 3-1 loss to Taft College on Tuesday, Sept. 24, the men’s soccer team looks ahead to Los Angeles Harbor College and seeks to fix its wrongs in an away contest on Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 3 p.m.

“The team needs to make the adjustments sooner,” head coach Benny Artiaga said.

Los Angeles Harbor College will also drop by the same day to face the women’s soccer team, which is undefeated with a 6-0 record, in a home game on Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 4 p.m.

Back-to-back water polo games will be held at Cerritos College as Long Beach City College rolls into town to face both the men and women’s water polo team on Wednesday, Oct. 2.

The men’s water polo team maintains a 7-7 overall record, right at .500, after a 16-9 loss on Sunday, Sept. 29 to Naval Academy at Downey High School, while the women team has a 4-6 record, but it seeks to continue its home success after a 19-8 home victory against Los Angeles Trade-Technical College.

The women play at 3 p.m. while the men play at 4:15 p.m.

The Golden West Invitational had the men’s cross country team earn 257 team points, right at seventh place, and the women’s team had 119 points at fourth place.

Development was preached by coaches Christopher Richardson and Marco Anzures, and development is exactly what is desired this season and the upcoming meet on Friday, Oct. 4 in the San Diego Invitational at Mission Bay Park.

The meet begins at 11 a.m.

The same day on Friday, Oct. 4, the volleyball team will have a home game against Los Angeles Trade-Technical College at 6 p.m.

It will be the third home game of the season and the team seeks to improve its 3-5 record.

The games don’t end for the men and women’s water polo team as they will both attend their respective tournaments in Riverside and Cuesta.

Both tournaments tip-off on Saturday, Oct. 5.

The women’s soccer team is not finished either, as it has another home game against El Camino-Compton Center on Friday, Oct. 4 at 2 p.m.

The football team returns from a one week hiatus.

After kicking off the season with a 50-19 blowout win against Los Angeles Harbor College on Saturday, Sept. 7, the football team has dropped two consecutive games in blowout fashion itself and seeks to return to its winning ways against Pasadena City College on Saturday, Oct. 5.

The home game is at 7 p.m.

Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).