Angel Rojas breaks school goal record against Chaffey College

Utility freshman Angel Rojas scoring one out of his eleven goals on Oct.7 against Chaffey College. Rojas now has a total of 96 goals in the season. Photo credit: Christian Gonzales

Freshman Angel Rojas broke the school record for the most goals in a game against Chaffey College.

On Wednesday, Oct.7 Rojas scored 11 goals against the Panthers.

Rojas broke the school record earlier this season and tied his own record in the first game against Gannon, Pennsylvania, University this season and tied it against Penn State University when the team traveled to Annapolis, Maryland to play four games.

“I was thinking about breaking the record and it happened and I thought we did a pretty good job in the game,” said Rojas.

The men’s water polo team hosted Chaffey College for its fourth conference game of the season.

The Falcons defeated the Panthers 22-9 to improve its record to 4-0 in the South Coast Conference.

The men’s water polo team are currently on a four-teen game winning streak and are 16-3 in the season.

The last loss the Falcons had was back in Sept. 11 when they lost in a close game to Citrus College falling 19-20 in a sudden death overtime game.

Cerritos College will now play in the Riverside Tournament on Friday Oct.9 and Saturday Oct.10 to play three games.

In the first period of the game Cerritos College scored a total of nine goals with Rojas being responsible for three of them.

Sophomore Marlon Moreno also included 3 goals in the first period of the game and finished the game with 5 goals.

Head coach Joe Abing said, “Another good win for us, we have a really challenging weekend ahead of us and we are going to play the top teams in state.”

Abing on Rojas said about breaking the school record for most goals in a game, “I know he scores a lot of goals but I didn’t know that until I heard them say it after the game. It’s not surprising he’s probably capable scoring twenty (goals) if he wanted to.”

Rojas in the second period added four more goals and the Falcons were up 15-6 at halftime. Rojas alone outscored the opponent in the first half and in the game.

At the end of the game Rojas didn’t only scored goals but played solid defense and finished the game with five steals. The team had a total of 21 steals in the game against the Panthers.

Freshman goalie Brian Smith had a total of four saves in the game, while sophomore Alfredo De La Mora had three saves in the game, and freshman Ariel Prado-Madera had two saves against Chaffey College.

Christian Gonzales
Christian Gonzales, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Christian Gonzales. This fall semester I am the Sports Editor for Talon Marks. This is my third year at Cerritos college. I enjoy talking about sports like basketball, football, tennis,and soccer. IG:ChrisG_Sports Twitter:ChrisG_Sports