Shmackem: Young King James is up next

Carlos Ruiz

LeBron James Jr., who turned 14 years old on Oct. 6 has called next in line for greatness. Nicknamed Bronny, he is the son of Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James, who is also known as King James.

Embed from Getty Images

He’s a 5-foot-10 point guard and already dunking, has a jelly-filled layup package, can pass like his Pops and to top it all off he’s a knockdown 3-point shooter.

Bronny has racked up countless highlights and has amassed his own popularity with his talents.

It is Halloween time, so here’s a scary true story–Bronny is actually going to get taller and stronger. After all, King James grew to 6-foot-6 during the summer before his sophomore year and now at 33 he’s approximately 6-foot-9, 250 lbs.

A few up-and-coming players have been called the next LeBron James, but who would have a better chance of becoming the next LeBron James than his own son.

Currently a student-athlete at Crossroads Academy, Bronny is apart of the 2023 graduating class.

A ranking compiled by Coast 2 Coast Preps on Sept. 15 has Bronny ranked No. 24 in the country out of all player positions in the 2023 class. Although, Naismith National Youth All American Report has young James listed as an elite player and the No. 3 guard in all the country.

Embed from Getty Images

King James was not happy with his son’s Coast 2 Coast player ranking, which was at No. 25 during the time he displayed his dismay, but it has since improved by only one tick.

The Lakers forward wrote on a screenshot of the rankings via Instagram, “[No. 25] huh?” He continued, “We love it over here cause we only have room to improve. The only thing that matters is the next photo [of rankings].”

Previous to King James’ move to the Lakers, Bronny was a star player in Ohio on a dominant Northcoast Bluechips team, which also featured the consensus No. 1 player in the 2023 class Mikey Williams and two additional top ranked players.

Embed from Getty Images

Bronny reportedly has already received an offer to play at the University of Kentucky and has been on an unofficial visit to Duke, along with a lot of attention from top basketball programs.

Earlier in the year, James said, “…I damn sure would love to stick around if my oldest son can have the opportunity to play against me,” describing that potential moment as “the icing on the cake.”

James also talked about this topic on Uninterrupted, a media company he owns, he said, “If I’m on the same court as my son in the NBA, that would be No. 1 in my lifetime as an NBA player.”

Embed from Getty Images

Some reports say that James actually wants to be teammates with his son in the NBA.

King James does have a player option for year four of his Lakers contract, meaning he can become a free agent around the time Bronny could become eligible for the NBA Draft.

Only time will tell whether or not young King James and the Lakers’ King James will be on the same NBA floor together, but one thing is for certain–Bronny is up next to reign with the title of best basketball player.

Jah-Tosh Baruti
Jah-Tosh Baruti, Staff Writer
Jah-Tosh Baruti is author of the sports column titled Shmackem. Previously he was sports editor for Talon Marks. Baruti also took home an award for his sports writing at the Journalism Association of Community Colleges’ state conference in 2018.
Carlos Ruiz
Carlos Ruiz, Managing Editor
Carlos Ruiz is the Managing Editor for Talon Marks. He admires photography, and even launched his own website and has dedicated his Instagram to his work. His dream job is always changing, but most recently, he would like to travel the world taking photos, or something having to do with photojournalism. He’s hopeful to continue working on a newspaper staff at the CSU he decides to attend.