Antonio Brown released by the New England Patriots

Getty Images Michael Reaves

Wide Receiver Antonio Brown was released, per his request, by the Oakland Raiders two days before their first game of the 2019 NFL Season. Less than two weeks later, he was released from his new team, the New England Patriots.

Brown was released by the Patriots after agreeing to a one-year $15 million dollar contract with a nine million dollar signing bonus.

Brown tweeted negatively towards the Patriots owner and claimed the owners in the NFL were corrupt, resulting in his decision to no longer play in the NFL.

Brown missed out on the chance to earn a total of $39 million. Brown should not get paid this money because he did not follow the rules stated in his contract and did not produce for the team. Brown did not play one game with the Raiders.

When asked about Antonio Brown’s situation, Cerritos College business administration student Rahee Patel believes, “Brown is being foolish and possibly ruined his chances of ever coming back to the NFL.”

Five hours after being released by the Raiders, Brown joined one of the most controversial teams in the NFL. The Patriots have been known to be involved in scandals like Deflate Gate, Spy Gate and the Tuck Rule.

A lawsuit was filed three days after his signing with the Patriots, accusing Brown of three different rape allegations. The Patriots claimed they had no clue of these accusations before signing him, and followed the NFL’s procedure to an investigation.

Cerritos College Journalism Major, Daniel Suarez, said, “I’m glad the allegations are coming to light, we need to stop protecting players when they behave this way. It’s unfortunate his career is ruined, but he’s facing the consequences for his actions.”

Brown was released by the Raiders after a rough six months of miscommunication. When he was released he posted a video of him running around his backyard, yelling “I’m Free!”

Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden said after the release, “He’s a good guy, he’s a great player and I hope he gets what he’s looking for.”

Brown’s situation is a really bad look for the NFL because they are allowing players to misbehave in order to try and get what they want.

Brown got into a heated argument with Raiders General Manager Mike Mayock who he ended up calling a “cracker” in this discussion. Brown stated he wanted to punch him in the face, then punted a football and told the General Manager to “fine him for that.”

Brown then apologized to the whole Raiders Organization for his actions in a meeting with the Raiders team captains and coaching staff.

Trouble was avoided until Antonio Brown’s contract was voided for his $30 million in guaranteed money because of a $200,000 fine from the Mayock altercation and a previous fine of $54,000 for unexcused absences.

Antonio Brown has caused a lot of chaos in the NFL and has now decided to change his focus and enroll into classes at Central Michigan University.

Jonathan Gonzalez
Jonathan Gonzalez, Staff Writer
Jonathan Gonzalez is a staff writer for Talon Marks covering sports and entertainment. Jonathan major is journalism and wants to be a future broadcaster one day for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Jonathan is currently on the Water Polo team at Cerritos College.